Solutions for handling symlink attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoftDux

May 27, 2006
Johannesburg, South Africa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ok, so just to confirm. What can actually protect a cPanel Apache server, without breaking thousands of Joomla (and possibly others?) sites on the server?

P.S. I have read through the whole posts, but there's some conflicting "advice" here, and nothing concrete - or even a definite fix from the cPanel folk.

SoftDux

May 27, 2006
Johannesburg, South Africa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I see the CloudLinux project has something called SecureLinks which should fix this very problem, but it's not available on cPanel yet (even though it's available on Plesk, InterWorx and and ISPManager.

* We are working with cPanel to include new version of mod_hostinglimits with SecureLinks enabled in the next EasyApache release.
So, when can we expect this in cPanel? That post was made in February already, which means it has been working on the other control panels before February. Yet, 3 months later and it's still not available in cPanel

DomineauX

PartnerNOC
Apr 12, 2003
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Apache has already incorporated a fix for the race condition:

Got a tip .. changelog apache 2.2.17

Code:
*) core: check symlink ownership if both FollowSymlinks and
     SymlinksIfOwnerMatch are set [Nick Kew]

*) core: fix origin checking in SymlinksIfOwnerMatch
PR 36783 [Robert L Mathews <rob-apache.org.bugs tigertech.net>]

Arun

Jan 28, 2006
^^ cPanel uses Apache 2.2.22 now.

So if both FollowSymlinks and SymlinksIfOwnerMatch are disabled in Apache Configuration will this be resolved?

Mitio

Jan 11, 2010
Hello,

If you have any problem with the patch >> - for Apache/2.2.22 please add me on skype my skype name: nasanet. I will create a detailed guide as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Dimitar Spasov,

Last edited by a moderator:

abdelhost77

Apr 25, 2012
Morocco
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I install the patch and it work like a charm in our servers , now a hacker cannot use the symlink scripts to open Joomla or Wordpress configuration file , even if the config file is chmoded to 644 or higher ( if it is 640 than even if the patch is NOT installed a hacker cannot read the file using the symlink trick ) .

The question now , is HOW to be sure that this patch will not be overriden by APACHE or CPANEL automatic Updates , any IDEA PLEASE ?

optize

Apr 27, 2005
cPanel -

Why isn't this fixed yet? This seems like a really simple fix, especially since Steven has done the work for you. I can't imagine how many thousands of cPanel boxes out there that are vulnerable to this since cPanel's not making a big deal out of it.

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There is a current implementation where you can already do this otherwise. If you switch to using mod_ruid2 and setup RDocumentChRoot, it will chroot the user into their directory and symlinks cannot be followed at that point.

hostnex

May 2, 2008
Islamabad, Pakistan, Pakistan
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There is a current implementation where you can already do this otherwise. If you switch to using mod_ruid2 and setup RDocumentChRoot, it will chroot the user into their directory and symlinks cannot be followed at that point.
You should also inform them about the draw backs of the Mod Ruid.

Mod Ruid will break most of your scripts specially wodress and joomal also mysql will stop working through hostnames. Alot of other issues as well. I did open ticket on cpanel and i was informed that they cant fix it as mod ruid is not their product. Instead of Mod ruid I will recommend all to install CAGEFS of Cloud Linux that virtually makes impossoiebl for hackers to make symlink with root also apply steven patch whch will make it more harder for the hackers to symlink.

Here is the direct link of CagFS

CageFS 3.5

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Actually WordPress functions under mod_ruid2 if you use 127.0.0.1 for the database connection in the setup. Joomla forces use of /tmp and won't allow setting it to another location. WordPress will not fail if you set /tmp somewhere else. I tested WordPress installs on mod_ruid2 for benchmark testing with my /home/username/public_html chrooted and it worked just fine.

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

StevenC

Jan 1, 2004
I have been talking with Brad from Grsecurity about this issue and he recently introduced a new feature to help mitigate the race conditions associated with this problem. I am currently testing this out right now for possible roll out to all of our customers.

Here is the commit from Brad:

commit 067ede10755d38e4c6502dbfbed3992206d190c0
Author: Brad Spengler <[email protected]>
Date: Mon Jul 2 18:36:51 2012 -0400

Introduce kernel-enforced SymlinksIfOwnerMatch feature
(Highly desirable feature for webhosting companies)

Conflicts:

fs/namei.c

fs/namei.c | 11 +++++++++++
fs/udf/super.c | 6 +++---
grsecurity/Kconfig | 27 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
grsecurity/grsec_init.c | 6 ++++++
grsecurity/grsec_link.c | 16 ++++++++++++++++
grsecurity/grsec_sysctl.c | 18 ++++++++++++++++++
include/linux/grinternal.h | 2 ++
include/linux/grmsg.h | 1 +
include/linux/grsecurity.h | 1 +
security/Kconfig | 11 +++++++++++
10 files changed, 95 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
Apache's SymlinksIfOwnerMatch option has an inherent race condition │
│ that prevents it from being used as a security feature. As Apache │
│ verifies the symlink by performing a stat() against the target of │
│ the symlink before it is followed, an attacker can setup a symlink │
│ to point to a same-owned file, then replace the symlink with one │
│ that targets another user's file just after Apache "validates" the │
│ symlink -- a classic TOCTOU race. If you say Y here, a complete, │
│ race-free replacement for Apache's "SymlinksIfOwnerMatch" option │
│ will be in place for the group you specify. If the sysctl option │
│ is enabled, a sysctl option with name "enforce_symlinksifowner" is │
│ created.

Last edited:

d'argo

Jul 4, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
just found out that our atomic linux kernel already has the gsecurity kernel patch you mentioned above, it works fine btw, no performance issues and stops the symlinks. no idea if the apace patch has a performance impact but the kernel patch does not

Status
Not open for further replies.