The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED: 500 error after server security updates

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by kazar, Dec 8, 2014.

1. kazar

kazar Active Member

May 18, 2008
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello --

I host a few websites on a CentOS Cpanel server as a community volunteer. I do my best as someone with only very basic skills, really no web server training. Lately one of our domains has been sending out mail via what I think was a Drupal exploit that has survived updating Drupal and I am still working on that, but meanwhile I decided to follow the suggestions in the WHM Security Advisor to make my server overall more secure.

After making these changes all websites hosted by Drupal or Wordpress on the server are returning a 500 error. Which change caused this to happen and what can I do so the sites can connect to their databases again?

• Installed Apache mod_ruid2 profile -- I think this process also updated EasyApache?
    • Enabled “Query Apache server status to determine the sender of email sent from processes running as nobody” in the “Exim Configuration Manager” area's “Basic Editor”
    • Enabled "EXPERIMENTAL: Jail Apache Virtual Hosts using mod_ruid2 and cPanel® jailshell." in Tweak Settings
    • Added password strength rules to all services with minimal strength set at 50
    • Ran yum update via ssh to kernel version 2.6.32-504.1.3.el6 and restarted

Thanks for any help, all the sites are now down, Ugh!!

- - - Updated - - -

NEVER MIND! I had to change the PHP handler to DSO. I don't even know what that means or how I figured it out. Psychic troubleshooting LOL. Sorry for the noise.
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

May 20, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator