The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some details to double check when moving servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ianmarie, Jan 28, 2009.

1. ianmarie

ianmarie Well-Known Member

Having just migrated over 200 accounts from one server to another, I am overall delighted with cpanel and how well it handles these moves.

There are a few details though, that I wish to share with others that may save them some heartache.....

1. if in dns you have eg a main A record that points to another server altogether ie mail is hosted on your cpanel server, but web is hosted somewhere else; on transfer the new server whm believes that it has control, and rewrites those dns A records to point to itself. Very embarrassing.

2. I'm not sure why, but some domains require you to edit the dns on the new whm and tick the box for 'mail handling' at the bottom of each dns record editing box, or the server may not handle mail for that domain. (no consistency as to why some and not others that i could see; actually untested, but one I did notice that needed this had a unique ip address)

3. mailman archives not copied over; ie copy process created blank empty files instead of folders containing archive files (empty files had same name as directories should have). Removing blank files and directly copying mailman folders appears to have fixed the issue at the end user level. (here: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/)

4. (thankfully) deleting account from old server does not delete their mailman files (found some very old ones in there from old / long gone customers). This was a lifesaver for me (ie 3 above); but I didn't expect to find mailman files of deleted accounts still in existence.

5. a couple of instances of copy process not copying over valiases
    (compared filesize of /etc/valiases on both servers to find which ones were not copied) (no failures on copy process)

6. one instance of copy process not copying mail users for a domain -- oo -- not good (no failures on copy process)

thanks all

ian

2. ianmarie

ianmarie Well-Known Member

PS
    handy also - on old server

grep "LOGIN FAILED" /var/log/maillog

will show you customers who are still trying to access the old server to retrieve mail - ie can be proactive and helps customers adjust their mail client if they have hard wired an ip address into it instead of name.