Some emails disappear various hours until appear in the inbox

MindServer

Mar 18, 2020
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

A client writed me because sometimes he receive a email which disappear various hours or one day from the inbox, and finally appear in the inbox automatically with the correct hour.

For example: the email is received at 10:00h, appear at the 14:00h, but the hour that he see in the inbox is original (10:00h).

I don't know why happens this, any idea?.

Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! This sounds like a client-side issue with that particular mail program. The timestamp on the email message will be when it was received on the server, not when it gets opened in the mail client. Is there any odd behavior with the message in question if you check the /var/log/exim_mainlog file? Is it possible his client doesn't check for new messages often enough so it seems like there is a delay?

Reactions: MindServer

MindServer

Mar 18, 2020
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! This sounds like a client-side issue with that particular mail program. The timestamp on the email message will be when it was received on the server, not when it gets opened in the mail client. Is there any odd behavior with the message in question if you check the /var/log/exim_mainlog file? Is it possible his client doesn't check for new messages often enough so it seems like there is a delay?
Thank you very much. I will check if this is the problem and update you.

Have a nice day.