The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some incoming emails lost: trying to understand exim logs

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bluecup, May 30, 2014.

1. bluecup

bluecup Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am having some issues where some emails from a website are delivered and some go missing. I was looking at the exim logs and trying to understand the lines. I have added my comments below each line. Feel free to correct me if my understanding is wrong.

2014-05-29 09:22:03 1Tpg3O-0004Nz-0t <= nast@servername.domain1.com U=nast P=local S=2901 T="Contact Form" for myemail@hotmail.com
    • Basically in the website form, the form is configured to be sent to the admin email of a website (admin@domain2.com) which is being hosted by a company domain1.com. I don't know what this address is: nast@servername.domain1.com. "nast" is the username of domain2.com. Some emails are received in admin@domain2.com while some get lost. I'm trying to find out what's happening.

2014-05-29 09:22:03 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1Tpg3O-0004Nz-0t
    • I guess this is just a mail spool if I am correct. Probably nothing wrong here.

2014-05-29 09:22:03 1Tpg3O-0004Nz-0t SMTP connection outbound 1401288126 1Tpg3O-0004Nz-0t domain2.com sender@hotmail.com
    • Why is domain2.com added in this line?

2014-05-29 09:22:04 1Tpg3O-0004Nz-0t => sender@hotmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=mx3.hotmail.com [207.46.8.167] C="250 <E1Tpg3O-0004Nz-0t@nast@servername.domain1.com> Queued mail for delivery"
    2014-05-29 09:22:04 1Tpg3O-0004Nz-0t Completed
    • This looks like an outbound email where it is sending a confirmation notification to the sender: sender@hotmail.com. This seems fine to me.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You mentioned that some emails go missing. Are the missing emails the ones you see in /var/log/exim_mainlog? Is it possible the messages were sent out and have simply been added to the SPAM folder in Hotmail?

Thank you.

3. bluecup

bluecup Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for your reply. There has been a typo in my message. myemail@hotmail.com should read as sender@hotmail.com. I couldn't edit the original post.

The emails that go missing are the incoming emails that are supposed to be received in admin@domain2.com. Hotmail email is the sender's email. Sender is receiving emails fine.

I am finding is hard to understand the first line of the exim logs. Please see my comments for the first line of the log.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Search for the email address that sent you the message with commands such as:

Code:
    exigrep sender@hotmail /var/log/exim_mainlog
    exigrep sender@hotmail /var/log/exim_rejectlog
    This will help organize the log output and should let you know why your server rejected the message if that indeed happened.

Thank you.