The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some issues with the maildir conversion.. :(

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by amal, Sep 7, 2005.

1. amal

amal Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Problem1

I tried the maildir conversion in one of our servers... Since there were lots of big inboxes, the server load went high ( this process was running for more than a couple of hours then ), and another staff on the same server killed the process.

Now half of the mail was converted and half of them not converted.. I was not able to restore it using the cpanel script.. :( I had to write a script to manually convert all accounts back to mbox format.

Problem 2

In maildir, if a few users have say more than 1000 mails in their inbox. In that case, if maildir format is enabled, /scripts/mailperm will take all of the cpu resources, and it'll take for ever to complete.... Since it has to check each and every mail ( since each mail is stored as a different file ) for correct permissions and ownerships.. :(

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'd strongly suggest you log this with cPanel so that they can investigate the issue since it's a beta feature now that is going to be run out across the board in the next major release.

3. amal

amal Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for looking into this...Chirpy.. . I'll submit a bug.. ;)

4. Bruce

Bruce Well-Known Member

We converted three servers to maildir without any major problem.
    What we are experiencing now is not showing proper disk usage of each email account in Manage and add accounts in cpanel.
    This is a problem when a client sees only .06 mb used but really using 17MB and going over email quotas
    Bug submitted days ago but no answer yet.

5. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

Amal, would you care to share your script? I'm sure there will be others with occassion to use it :).

David