The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Mail Disappears

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nanabite, Jul 27, 2004.

1. nanabite

nanabite Active Member

I have a customer with multiple mail accounts. He had a client email him a message and he received it fine, but another of his accounts (which the mail was addressed to) didn't get the mail and there was no bounce back to the sender. He says that this is not the first time mail has been lost from the other account without any error message being returned to the sender and I can't work out what is happening. Anything I can try to debug this problem?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can look through /var/log/exim_mainlog and search for the senders email address to get the message-id, then search the log again for the message-id to find out what happened to the email.

3. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

I can confirm this is an ongoing issue. Basically if the client has SpamAssassin tagging enabled then some messages are mysteriously being tossed without errors or bounces. I haven't yet looked at the logs to find this or tested to see it in action but frankly the mail system in Cpanel stinks anyway and I do not consider it very reliable.

That being said, I'm only keeping one cpanel server in my mix and switching over to H-Sphere which uses the much more reliable qmail system I've used for years on my non-panel servers.

Another thing I've noticed is the mail folders in cpanel are becoming a mess, looks like hard links failed all over the place so it makes sense the system is having trouble when cpanel/exim can't keep the mail system together anyway.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, the latter is a cPanel issue with cppop, AFAIK. I've never seen any evidence of email being "lost" by exim which has proven itself has a very reliable and configurable MTA. I would suggest that you read the other ongoing thread about Exim and respond to that if you want to have a go at it, but this thread is about someone with a specific problem and there's no evidence that this has anything to do with an MTA failure.

5. nanabite

nanabite Active Member

I went through that log file and couldn't find the email address (well I tried two of them) that the mail was being sent from.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Do you have any RBL's, exiscan, MailScanner or any other tweaks enabled for Exim? Does the user have any filters configured in cPanel for their account? Could the user have run out of disk space on either their hosting account as a whole or the POP3 Mail account in particular. Does the user forward the email via aliases or off-server?

7. nanabite

nanabite Active Member

AFAIK I haven't modified exim in any way on this server. They don't have SpamAssasin enabled nor do they have any filters or forwarders. There is 220.58MB of disk space availalbe on their account, but I will increase the mail quota just incase (but I don't think this is the problem).

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Do you know if the problem can be reproduced, or does it only apparently happen intermittently? Being able to reproduce the problem might be critical to understanding what's going wrong.

9. nanabite

nanabite Active Member

One of the problems is that it doesn't ALWAYS happen. But a test email was sent again from the same domain and the same thing happened - one of the emails recieved it while the other one did not.

10. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

It seemed to be a similar issue to mine, and it is a MTA failure if the messages are disappearing into nowheresville which is what my clients are experiencing with SA turned on for some reason.

My client can turn off SA and the message comes in just fine (not talking the Spambox feature, just SpamAssassing tagging which should do nothing but tag the message and pass it off to Exim for final delivery to mailbox.) but as soon as SA is enabled then they are losing messages somewhere along the line. Not all clients mind you.

11. nanabite

nanabite Active Member

But SA is already disabled on this account.

12. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Have you logged a support ticket with cPanel?

13. Cash

Cash Well-Known Member

I am also facing email lost problem.
    I forward same email to 10 users, but 8 uers received and rest 2 never receive. :(
    Is it cpanel problem?

14. redlorry919

redlorry919 Well-Known Member

I had a problem in that some of my users could not receive or send mail yet others could do fine. I found out that there is a file called /etc/localdomains which holds all the domain names on the server.

Now my domain name should be in as domainname.co.uk yet for some reason, there was an error and the domain read domainname.co.uk.otheruser.co.uk. This meant that none of my email was coming through or sending.

I changed it back to domainname.co.uk and all works fine straight away. There was 3 other accounts that where also effected.

Might be worth checking this out if you have further mail problems as after two days of searching it sorted my server.

Adam.

:eek: :confused: :D

15. nanabite

nanabite Active Member

No luck with this, everything in that file seems to be okay. I'm still getting the problem, an example of a support request about it is:

16. Wallaby

Wallaby Well-Known Member

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am seeing exactly the same issue on one of our servers (but not the others), seeming to affect just some of the domains on the server, and possibly just some addresses on the affected domains.

Information:

-- I've checked /etc/localdomains and /etc/remotedomains and they are correct.

-- I've checked SpamAssassin settings.

-- I've checked Tweak Settings ands Exim Settings against another server and they tally exactly.

-- I've checked the server IP is not in any RBLs.

-- For an affected email address, mail from some senders is received, but mail from other senders is not: no bounce, no error, it just never gets there.

-- If I reboot the server, things seem to improve, but only temporarily.

-- If I move an affected account to a different server, all is fine.

Apart from moving everything to another server, I'm stumped. Ideas anyone?

17. rzamites

rzamites Member
    PartnerNOC

Beating a dead horse, I know, but I have a customer with the same complaint. The pain of this is that it's so intermittent and difficult to duplicate, it makes troubleshooting a very tedious exercise in patience.

I'm considering trying an eximup and seeing if that alleviates things.

18. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I recommend searching the Exim mail server logs to determine what may have occurred for the messages involved.

The Exim logs may be searched using "exigrep" via root SSH access; for verbose usage information please refer to the official Exim documentation: Exim MTA Specification - 50. Exim utilities - 4. Extracting specific information from the log (exigrep)

Here is an example showing a broad (generic) search for a specific e-mail address, which could be that of the sender or one of the intended recipients; replace "user@domain.tld" with the desired e-mail address to search for:
    • For RHEL/CentOS Linux:
      Code:
      # exigrep -l user@domain.tld /var/log/exim_*
    • For FreeBSD:
      Code:
      # exigrep -l user@domain.tld /var/log/exim/*

To obtain only the most relevant of information, I recommend trying to find the specific message ID of the affected messages and using that to perform a more precise search. In the following example of a case-sensitive search, replace "$MessageID" with the 16-character message ID that was assigned by Exim (e.g., "16VDhn-0001bo-D3"); this should be the same message ID that can be seen in both the Exim logs and in the full headers or source when viewing a message:
    • For RHEL/CentOS Linux:
      Code:
      # exigrep -I -l $MessageID /var/log/exim_*
    • For FreeBSD:
      Code:
      # exigrep -I -l $MessageID /var/log/exim/*

To increase the amount of detail in future Exim log messages (and make it easier to troubleshoot), I would consider enabling more verbose logging:
    1. Navigate to the following menu path in WebHost Manager:
      WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Editor >> Advanced Editor
    2. Input the following into the first text box of the Advanced Exim Configuration Editor:
      Code:
      log_selector = +all -ident_timeout -pid
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the page then click Save to finalize the configuration change.

Related Documentation: Exim MTA Specification - 49. Log files - 15. Reducing or increasing what is logged