The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roars, Sep 5, 2003.

1. roars

roars Registered

Sep 4, 2003
    Hi, didnt really know where to ask about this but this seems like a good place to start. Im considering starting up a small webhosting company, and like we all know bandwidth dosnt grow on trees.

So i was wondering how many clients/hosts do you think you can squeeze out of a 1mbps connection before it starts to really choke and its time to upgrade it :)

I was also thinking of getting one of the faster connection but with GB limit a month. But then again that can become expensive really fast.

Any tips? Support Ticket Number:
  2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2001
    ON, Canada
    How I calculate things like that is:
    On that connection, if it were running at full speed 24/7, the monthly transfer would be 324,000 MB or 316 GB. You will never have everything so well balanced that downloads are always the same. I generally figure peak times will be about 10 times the average, so if you want it to be unnoticeable most of the time, it should be pretty safe until the average reaches 31.6 GB/month. You can safely handle enough accounts that go a little over this, but the farther over you go, the more often there will be a noticeable decrease in download speed.

How many accounts? That depends on the website. With my current accounts, the average comes to just under 1GB/month per account, but I have 1 account that uses 10GB itself pretty consistently.

Others here will be able to give you a better idea of account averages, and their opinion on transfer limits, but I think that connection should be able to handle about 100 or 200 small accounts, 30 to 50 average accounts, or 1 to 10 large ones.

The only way to really tell is to start putting them there. Support Ticket Number: