The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone knowledgeable about SSL certificates?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pingo, Nov 3, 2003.

1. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

I use domain.com as the host name on all servers in a trust relationship. domain.com is created with a username on mars.domain.com - now I need to install a ssl certificate on another server apollo.domain.com, but I am required to add the username of the commercial domain.com in WHM. This doesn't, however, work because domain.com only has a username at mars.domain.com (master), not on apollo.domain.com which is a slave server. So what am I going to do to get that certificate I just bought through ev1servers installed on apollo.domain.com for shared ssl? Does anybody here know how to deal with this problem? I tried root as username but it wouldn't accept it.

Thanks
    John

2. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

You need to purchase a wildcard cert *domain name.

This will allow you to have unlimited sub-domains under the same cert...Expensive though, I have three wildcards and they cost $800.00 ea for two years.

Once installed, you then need to add the sub-domain as its own account in whm and assign its own IP address to it, then you will need to edit and add the SSL define to the httpd.conf
    for each sub-domain.

:eek:

3. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

I don't know why that would be necessary? The server crashed and we lost the shared certificate on apollo.domain.com - it worked perfectly well before on apollo.domain.com. Now we need to install a new certificate. I have never bought such a certificate before and shared ssl has worked perfectly well on all servers using domain.com as host name on all servers. I don't know how the techs did it but it has never been a problem I would just like to learn for my self how they did it.

John

4. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Yes, but was it for sub-domains or shared users?

apollo.domain.com
    apollo2.domain.com
    apollo3.domain.com

Or www.domain.com and it was shared for the
    username

apollo.domain.com/~usr
    apollo.domain.com/~usr1
    apollo.domain.com/~usr2

There is only two types of ssl certificates that I know of.

One, a none wildcard www.domain.com
    Or a wildcard *domain.com

You cannot share a ssl for mars.domain.com unless its a wildcard cert, as it has its own sub-domain name and the certificate is for apollo.

Thanks

#4 easyhoster1, Nov 3, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2003
  5. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

No, it was for users apollo.domain.com/~alotofusers :)

John