The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I want to do and need your help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Keegan, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    There is a little girl that lives next door (I think about 7 years old). She has PH (Primary Pulmonary Hypertension) which is a terminal disease usually resulting in death by age 21. She is very funny, complete with a sign on her bedroom door that says “NO BOYS ALOUD!”).

I want to get her a computer because over time her health will fail and she will be unable to venture outside as much. Right now she is full of energy but the hard part about this disease is that the heart enlarges and they die essentially from a failed heart. Since they have moved in (The parents) I have purchased them a new washing machine and dryer, and also collected other furniture.

This is what I need help with:

If anyone can donate computer equiptment I can help her have a special xmas. Her name is Shauna and I told her a couple months ago I would try to collect the parts for a computer but I am limited to older server capable parts (500's etc).

If you want to help you can e-mail me directly and we can talk via phone. You can help by donating money or sending hardware along. Monitors, cases, motherboards, memory keyboards mice etc. It obviously would be nice to build a couple three of them for the family (Two parents and 3 little kids... ugh..)

Any way, if you want to do something nice, now is the time.

Not that this would help people much, but If it will help people donate parts, I can donate to the people donating parts webhosting and domain registration. A starter account with 208 megs and 5 gigs of transfer. This would come out of my pocket but I really want this to succeed.

The page that I am keeping this organized is: http://sighost.us/shauna

2. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Anyone have anything they can part with? The list is updated

3. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Bunch of dedicated server sticks in the mud hahah

4. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  5. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Nice looking site. I think you will find most people pretty cynical about things like this.

Too much fraud in the world I guess.

Ever think of doing something locally? A neighborhood collection perhaps? As cheap as computers are these day, you could get her a nice dell for under $500. A little door to door action in your neighborhood would probably yield much better results that trying to get donations over the internet. Most of the parts you need are not worth the money it takes to ship them

Also, could try local church. Do they go to church? Do you? Either yours or their church ought to be willing to help out.

I also assume that the families financial situation is such that they cannot squeeze out an extra $500 for a computer. Do they have cable TV? Sometimes its about priorities.

6. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Dennis, people who know me KNOW this isnt a scam =)

I am contacting EVERYONE, locally, nationally, worldwide. I know I have had equiptment sitting around, and I know people that are ignoring this thread have equiptment around.

The idea is to pool this into a real effort for real people. The local computer store is going to help,. the local radio statiosn are being contacted. Synical or not, this is real, and well I think its a better way to spend our xmas (Kimberly and I) than buying a bunch of useless shit we aren't going to care about in a month anyway. This affects real people, real lives that are not only fragile, but would appreiciate what I'm doing.

THAT to me is xmas.

As an update about the going's on...

I ended not having enough time to make it novato today so kimberly and I ran around town contacting people about the project. If you're going to send something try to get it in the mail ASAP. I am starting to gather information to list it on her site of those who have donated, and those i have begun their free hosting.

A friend in Tracy is going to ride with me up to novato on Monday since kimberly works that day.

In novator is two monitors, keyboards, mice and I "Think" other things. The idea is to build the two systems for the family, then continue to build systems *(As we are already going to get dupe parts).

7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Personally, I like the idea. I just wish I could afford to help, but all I could offer would be hosting which you don't need.

It is an example of the true meaning of Christmas. I hope you get everything you need. You probably will get more help locally than on the net though.

8. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Unfortunately I started this yesterday, which gave no time to get local support. It looks like we will have just about everything (As things come in early next week) for two systems.

A 1.2, a 1.4, two 17 inch monitors, a 16 gig drive, a 20 gig drive, sound cards, video cards, speakers, keyboards, optical mice, games,. a digital camera.... cant think of other thins that have been promised. About 120 bucks has been promised and that is going to go for stuff we are missing, and the balance given to the parents to buy other gifts.

When its all said and done (And the digital camera comes) I'm going to take pictures of shawna typing on her new pute to everyone that responded on the boards. Then they can see a bright little face typing on her own pute for the first time. For the people that are skeptical they will also be able ot see what she has to lug around at SEVEN years old... You would believe the meds this child must have prepared every night by her parents. Its a compound that has to be mixed every night and injected into her... and I though having to stay in late at night at 7 was a bad thing...

Everyone who donates will do it because they can see me as a conduit, not as a scam. The thank you will be to everyone, I'm just hearing making sure everyone knows what is going on (I just came up with the idea), the people packaging, paying shipping, giving up their uneeded, and nee3ded hardware are the ones that really deserve the thanks. My thanks will be when I can see her smiling face sitting at her new desk (Which I'm working on as well, the parents have a desk they said last night), so thanks squirrel, just your thought is great.

The reason I was able to garner so much help in 48 hours (Besides this board) is those who know me know i help out and give all year round, they know I cannot be a part of a scam and help way too much to be a part of something low. Thats what has made this possible, people's faith in me, and thats my xmas present =)

9. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That was kind of my point. *I* did not doubt your veracity, but many (if not most) on the net will.

That is why I suggested you go around your locality to contact people that know you and her.

Glad it worked out so well so quickly!

10. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yea I got that about the local part, have been doing that =) Its only been 48 hours and all this has happened =-) its incredible.

11. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I'm glad things are going well. I'm sure it will bring some happiness into her life.

12. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks!< here's the updates for today

Today is a good day to get whatever youre going to send. When I get back form Novato today I should have a pretty clear idea what we have so far. Some things should be in the mail, and I think some has arrived. I put the goal for the 20th but it can be a couple days late (22nd) which still gives me time to arrange alternatives or fix things whatever but its important to get whatever you're sending in the mail.

Its hard to keep track of what everyone has said they were sending and I think by the 23rd ill have everything listted on her donations page. This is where i will need everyone's help to send me e-mails of what they sent so I can link up what we have and who sent it for listing on her page.

13. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yesterday after going to my PO BOX 6 boxes arrived. 2 Cases, video cards, sound cards, keyboard, mother board (Still have to go through and add it to the donations page). It definitely looks like we are going to be able to continue this after we hit shawna's goal. The idea is what is left over, will continue to go into systems for families that the PH foundation puts me into contact with, so we are definitely on target.

Also yesterday I was able to make the trip up to Novato that put me smack dab in the middle of a 50 million dollar datacenter. Chi (The overlord hahah) welcomed me into the center of the main building to pick through the monitors, cables, speakers, keyboards and mice (Which I forgot to get keyboards there was so much stuff) and we had already taken up too much of his time. No worries, keyboards are coming in the mail and they are very inexpensive (Chi (Dslreports.com)! I realized I hadnt picked up a couple keyboards while driving through berkeley!). That was awfully generous of Chi and everyone at the companies that donated the equiptment, and was fun to see a datacenter I hadn't been to, sorry folks, no cameras were allowed!. Chi after the holidays I might end up back up there to take pictures of ya for her site! hehe, never know.

14. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yesterday I was stuck in Tracy California helping a friend empty out a house he is selling, but I'm here now. Last night Kimberly and I organized all of the received donations and it looks like we are falling short of hardware. The drives have not come in yet, the two motherboards I was expecting (1.4 and a 1.2 athlon combo). The cases I've received are ok and will work. I've received a keyboard, but I can buy one extra. I have one cd rom drive so we are short a cd rom. The printers havent arrived, and I'm worried about another donation. Tommorrow I don't think I can check my PO BOX so I'm not sure what Monday will hold as of this update. If you are holding off mailing anything please hurry.

15. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Welp I think the bulk has arrived and I know for a fact we have one complete system (Minus the printers, never came). If anyone has an Athlon 1.3 there are two boards that could use them for the next systems. If you have memory (Any size) that will run on biostar athlon boards that is also needed. A PCI video card is needed for an older board that I can build into a system for a younger child (266)- 98 will still run fine on it.

Any monitor anyone is willing to ship

Thanks to Kendal Jue we have plenty of mice, serial and ps2.

Keyboards, definitely need more keyboards, cases, definitely with powersupplies.

I have a master list on her site of what is received and the athlon boards are either missing memory, or cpus, so those are dead for the project unless someone has something lying around not being used and is willing to ship em.

This is the busiest xmas I've ever had and personally looking forward to it being over =)

Thanks to everyone that can help, everyone that has helped, looking forward to having pictures from xmas day of the little carpet pirahna.

16. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It's early in the morning Dec 24th and while the clock is ticking away, we are in the home stretch. I wish everyone that took the time to donate something, or a lot! could be here when she sees her new (And first) big I checked my PO BOX today and of course, it was closed... so if anything was to arrive today, it didn't. Good news though, I had enough parts and enough money to build the primary system (Shawna's). The system right now is getting the latest updates from window's update, and after a few more cables and cleanups the system, and the desk (Read down) will be ready for tommorrow night.

The desk was found today at walmart for 59 dollars and is perfect!. Its a three tiered desk, very sturdy and a lot nicer than I thought it would turn out. We assembled the desk about 8pm last night (My older brother and I) and then started to open boxes that were sent. We were able to build a nice pentium 3 system with a dvd player and 17 inch monitor. Webcam, optical mouse and an internet keyboard (Hot keys). The chair I am loaning to shawna (Its a joke, my present to her is a "loaner" chair. She will get the joke, even at 7).

Without the monetary donations there just isnt any way that this could not have come about as well as I believe it is going to come out. Ive been up all night building the computer and desk, will be configuring software until early noon tommorrow more than likely (Still have to find cybercontrol software).

They will all get mbshost e-mail accounts and I think the hardest part is just bringing them up to speed on how to use the computer (Which I'm a good teacher I'm told) so I know thats going to be the next few months... haha). As the morning wears on... I'll keep working on this update (Then after xmas Ill shut up haha)

Where's all my dedicated server friends ahhhaa, bunch of rich hardware bastards holding out! haha, its ok, its all working out and is quite incredible... and is SOON!

17. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    [​IMG]