The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something keeps setting directory perms to 750

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OpticPhreak, May 6, 2014.

1. OpticPhreak

OpticPhreak Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SOmething keeps setting directory perms to 750 in WHM 11.42.1 (build 12) and some older versions.

This happened a few times to servers I managed in the last 1.5 years. It happens to some directories, but not all.

I never change file perms ever, unless it is a perl script.

This time it happened on WHM 11.42.1 (build 12) and the only thing I did today that is remotely similar is run /scripts/chownpublichtmls

I ahd to run these to repair:

cd /blah/blah;
    find -type f -print -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    find -type d -print -exec chmod 755 {} \;

But cpanel need to find out wtf is causing this. This happened to 80 subdirectories that had $150 in facebooks ads going to them. So, $150 worth of visitors got FORBIDDEN.

I am the ONLY one with access to the server and my security is strong. My logs show no foul play. So, it is Cpanel malfunctioning.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

To clarify, is this happening to more than just the public_html directory itself? Are the additional directories within the public_html directory? You mentioned that you are positive that cPanel is causing this. Is there a specific method we can use to reproduce the behavior?

Thank you.

3. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I realize this is a very old post, but it's been happening on my server the last 3 times I upgraded cPanel. To verify I checked the permissions before upgrading to 11.48.1.2 (roughly an hour ago), then checked after.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To clarify, is this happening to more than just the public_html directory itself? Are the additional directories within the public_html directory? Could you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

5. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I was just about to submit a support ticket. I highly suspect it's something in EasyApache that's causing this, because it's happened with the last 3 PHP upgrades (to clarify: I do manual cP updates, and typically there's a cP update available when I use EA to update PHP, so they often happen at the same time).

This time in addition to resetting public_html and containing directories to 750, /tmp was reset to 0755, which caused outgoing email to fail, as well as random errors with PHP sessions.

I thought they were two separate errors until I stumbled upon /tmp's permissions being set wrong. That fixed, both errors went away.

Now I'm a little hesitant to use EA again....

#5 MaraBlue, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator