The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SORBS DNSBL IP Reputation

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Promethyl, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Promethyl

Promethyl Well-Known Member

I run a shared webhosting company. My ThePlanet server was getting too slow and having hardware problems. I moved to a new colo December 15. Unfortunately, the ip address given to me lies in a netblock which had been used previous for spam. THe spammers were kicked out of the building, however, it still has quite the reputation on SORBS.

Move from IP with spotless reputation 70.84.196.250 to 204.27.58.74. (A quick search of whois.sc history will prove the claim I moved.)

I've opened a ticket with the colo with instructions to contact SORBS, pay their ransom and learn to vet their clients better.

Anyhow, I want to use mail_reverse_dns and mailips to direct mail out of a particular IP, one which is is better repute.

SO my question, finally is this, when doing so, do I need to use a different hostname? I know the ip is blacklisted (not my fault! -- I've done nothing wrong!) but is the hostname too?

I made the causal mistake of naming the server after my second-born son. So should I also change the mail_reverse_dns and the reverse dns entry to a new hostname, or stick with the old one?

2. Promethyl

Promethyl Well-Known Member

Spoke with SORBS. They said to remind the colo it's their responsbility to pay the ransom.

Ok hten. I'm going to have a long talk with the colo provider and do just what I indicated here.