The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space gone in user accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vanbc, Mar 7, 2004.

1. vanbc

vanbc Member

My users aren't getting their mail because for some reason since switching webhosts, all my user accounts disk space quotas have mysteriously filled up in a week. I can't track down the problem. Please help :(

2. vanbc

vanbc Member

Thank you for the tip, but that is just giving me a gargantuan list of files with no sizes...surely this is not an uncommon problem. I've found lots of threads about general disk space problems, but nothing about individual user accounts filling up.

Dear God I beg of you all, please help. There's not much time left.

3. casey

casey Well-Known Member

4. vanbc

vanbc Member

I hadn't seen that one. Thanks a million :)

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

No problem. ;)

6. vanbc

vanbc Member

i hate to say this but...

I've tried these instructions several times, including /scripts/fixquotas, even /scripts/fixeverything and I just can't seem to affect a change. the find commands mentioned result only in a listing of the user's own home directory and a couple of others that aren't big anyway.

Is there any other possible explanation? I just increased the quotas on the affected accounts to buy some time. :(

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is this problem with a Server that you control? If so, have you contacted your Data Center for help and if not, you should contact the ServerAdmin.

You also mention the accounts were recently transferred. Who did the transfer and were temp files deleted when finished. There could also be a setting to change in the fstab file -- remove 'quotas' from the backup partition settings.

cat /etc/fstab

Then copy & paste the results here. We can determine if 'fstab' is the problem. Also, how many directories have the words "home" in them? That could be a problem as well.

8. vanbc

vanbc Member

OK I've FINALLY figured out the problem...let's see if I can type this with all this hair on my keyboard ;)

For those of you with disappearing disk space -- try this:

Check in WHM Backups>Configure Backup that "Incremental Backup" is DISABLED. Enabling this means that your backup directories will not be compressed, and will contain files owned by the account being backed up. If you keep this feature disabled, your backups will be compressed and owned by root. I've just deleted the last 8 days worth of logs (including monthly and weekly) then ran /scripts/cpbackup. The new backups are compressed and my disk space is back to normal.