The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spaces Not Allowed in Password??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by donald1701, Jun 16, 2006.

1. donald1701

donald1701 Registered

I recently transferred a number of accounts from one server to another. Everything seemed to transfer fine, but my some of my users were getting authentication errors while trying to retrieve their e-mail. After doing a lot of checking it appears that all the e-mail account passwords that contained spaces no longer work.

These accounts were are working fine with spaces, numbers and non-alphabetic characters on the previous server. Both servers are running cPanel 10.8.2-RELEASE 119. The only major software difference that I'm aware of is that the old server is running CentOS 3.7 and the new server is running CentOS 4.3.

I've verified that I can access an account when I tested where the password is:

abc123
    abc'123
    abc,123
    abc?123

but when I use

abc 123

it fails to authenticate. I can't find any reference to this situation anywhere. I'm sure I can go with passwords that don't have spaces, but since it always worked before and spaces do help make a stronger password I would like to at least know for sure that they are no longer allowed.

I've restarted the new server and there is no change.

Has anyone encountered this before or know of a solution?

2. Bash

Bash Member

You should never have spaces in your password. I have several servers with many accounts on them used by many different users. I have never come across this type of question, nor have had any users use spaces. Try making a standard email when people sign up that states to not use spaces in their passwords.

-Bash

3. jeroman8

jeroman8 Well-Known Member

Spaces in passwords ??
    never heard of it.

If your clients really had spaces before it was maybe translated into something else on that server.....

4. donald1701

donald1701 Registered

I appreciate your comments. Passwords with spaces in them are a recognized part of a strong password system. They are available on many systems along with all the other standard characters. My question was what has changed in cPanel or Exim or whatever.

We had over a dozen e-mail accounts that had passwords with spaces and they worked connsistently and for many, many months. We were able to change them on a regular basis with new passwords containing spaces. The difficulty only started when we transferred all the accounts from one machine running CentOS 3.7 to a RAID machine running CentOS 4.3. Both machines were hosted by the same company.

As I like spaces in a passphrase to make them easier to remember I was just trying to suss out what had changed. Thanks again for your input.

If anyone else runs across a solution (or a reason) for this behavior I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

5. vexil

vexil Member

There should be no reason not to allow spaces, except bad coding

Spaces are a perfectly valid part of any password, and if there is any reason not to allow them, it is poor coding. In some cases spaces need to be escaped or quoted on unix systems if you are passing them as parameters on a command line. If a novice coder found that spaces didn't work then he obviously didn't realise that you could quote or escape them.

We use spaces in passwords at our company because they make them stronger. To disable a particular character because of laziness or lack of basic knowledge of unix systems is very very poor, and will lower many peoples opinion of any company that produces software to this standard.

We have had the same problem here. When you try to change the password of a cpanel account it says "Password cannot have spaces.".