The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam access via POP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lee Gordon, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Lee Gordon

Lee Gordon Registered

I am migrating from a straight Unix-based ISP to one built around cPanel (7.2.1 build 84). However, the volume of spam we receive may place a prohibitive burden on our email and could make the migration untenable. The version of cPanel we use partly solves our problem, but not all of it--details below. Any ideas?

1) What we do in the UNIX-based ISP:
    Spam assassin places all of our organization's spam into a single mailbox, accessible through POP. We receive 150 spam messages daily, vs. 10's of legitimate messages. Perhaps every other week, a few legit (and important!) messages find their way into the spam box. In about a minute, I can scan through these messages using a mail monitoring program (Magic Mail Monitor http://www.geeba.org/magic/) delete all but the legit messages. Then I can forward the legit message to the appropriate mail box (after white listing our own organization).

2) What happens under cPanel:
    The problems are a) that messages are forwarded to spam folders for each individual mailbox, and b) that the messages can only be accessed via web mail (i.e. Horde). Using Horde to go into the spam folder of each mailbox to review and delete spam will require far more time than the above--I expect the time required to be prohibitive.

If there is some way cPanel can collect all the spam into a single POP-accessible mailbox, the problem goes away. Having POP access to all of the spam folders would be an improvement, though more time consuming. another solution would be to forward the mail from each of the spam folders to another mailbox (so long as it is also deleted from the spam folders).

Does anyone have any other ideas? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Lee Gordon

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. mobex

mobex Member

What I've done is create a second Cpanel with a separate domain (it could be just a simple subdomain too) and set up a pop mail box with that separate subdomain. I called that mail box spambox@spam.domain.com . Do not set up that separate subdomain in the same cpanel as the original domain as you'll get a continuous mail loop. It must be in a second cpanel.

I then went into the original domain's cpanel and set up a block that filters any message with the spamassassin header of spam status: yes. If an email is marked as spam by spamassassin, it is automatically forwarded to that email address (spambox@spam.domain.com).

I have not enabled SpamBox in Cpanel. This way ALL spam is pooled into one account that I can check with MailWasher. I don't have to login to IMAP or webmail. It's very convenient.

#2 mobex, Jul 25, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2003
  3. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

Access to the spam directory is not limited to Webmail. You can access it via IMAP as well. I use Outlook to peep into that directory every now and then ;)

4. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

Can you delete the unwanted mail through IMAP in Outlook?

5. mobex

mobex Member

Sure you can. You just click delete and then click on expunge.

The problem that Lee Gordon has is that he doesn't like to go through all the individual accounts and delete. He'd rather have one email account that pools all the spam together. If you view them with IMAP, it doesn't solve the problem, but it does help those who hate to use a webmail interface.

You could still view that email account through IMAP, if you wanted, with a client like Outlook, Eudora, Mozilla Mail, Pegasus, etc., but I think Lee Gordon prefers POP access.

6. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would suggest, no matter which way you go, that you also setup RBL's within Exim. My stats show approx. 600 Spam msgs. per day are being rejected. Have not had one Client complain about this feature. ;)

7. goodmove

Mobex, the deleted messages are expunged in Outlook but Outlook Express doesn't seem to have a similar facility :(

Are you using one of these headers to filter SA mail?

X-Spam-Flag: YES
    X-Spam-Status: Yes

#7 goodmove, Jul 25, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2003
  8. mobex

mobex Member

In Outlook Express, you delete normally, but instead of the word "expunge", it uses the word "purge"; you can find it in the Edit menu called "Purge deleted messages".

I am using one of those headers to filter SA mail. It's easy though in cpanel 7 because one of the options is to to filter "SpamAssassin Spam Header". When you're going to set up another mail filter, the first drop down menu's last option deals with SA. Here are the directions:
    To filter all mail that SpamAssasin has marked as spam, just choose "SpamAssassin Spam Header", "begins with", and then enter "Yes" in the box.

In the destination field, I chose spambox@spam.domain.com .

9. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you are using edge 98 you should be able to get the spam by logging in as

user@domain/spam

with the password for user@domain

10. mobex

mobex Member

That's an improvement. But what if you have say 100 pop accounts? That's a lot of accounts to check. It would be much quicker to check one email account that has all the spam-marked email from the domain.

11. goodmove

Taking your example, if a certain cpanel account had 9 mailboxes would exim create a loop if all SA-caught spam were to be directed to a 10th mailbox called spambox@domain.com? (This appears to be one of the suggestions in Add Mail Filter.)

#11 goodmove, Jul 27, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  12. goodmove

Can the contents of user@domain/spam be forwarded to a mailbox? That would be super. :)

#12 goodmove, Jul 27, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  13. mobex

mobex Member

Yes, there would be a loop. If you have 9 mailboxes that forward to the 10th mailbox, the 10th mailbox will follow the exact same rules as the other 9 boxes, so you will get a loop. That is why you have to have a second cpanel account (not an addon domain, parked domain or subdomain of the first cpanel account). That second separate cpanel account could be based on a subdomain (possibly spam.domain.com) or just a domain. A second cpanel account won't have any of those rules so all the mail will stop at that one email account. Therefore, you would create a mail box spambox@spam.domain.com because spam.domain.com will be on its own cpanel account and won't follow the filters on domain.com's cpanel account. This works wonderfully for me. I don't have to check any SA SpamBox accounts folders (in fact, I have that feature turned off) and I see all my spam in one central spambox -- no individual accounts to waste my time.

14. goodmove

Then that suggestion in Add Mail Filter page to redirect spam to an internal mailbox can be quite fatal. The ideal would be to have SA rules set for each individual mailbox. ;)

Your solution seems to be the best at the minute. The only problem I can see with that one is managing the redirection for hundreds of virtual hosts. We would then need to set up a private mailbox on a generic domain for each host. That would still not give control to individual mailbox owners.

One solution I can think of is to include a link on the /webmail and :2095 login page (just like the password mod link) to user@domain.com/spam so people can quickly access their spam folder when they want to.

15. Lee Gordon

Lee Gordon Registered

Here is the solution that I have come to, which is actually pretty easy, and which is a big improvement over what I had in the past.

1) I do not enable Spam Assassin's spam box. Instead, in the Configure Spam Assassin, I set the subject tag to"_HITS_-SPAM". This adds the Spam Assassin hits count plus the text "-SPAM" to the front of each subject header.

2) In email filtering, I use a filter that checks if the subject contains the text "SPAM", setting the destination to another mailbox.

The critical point is that the mailbox must be one which is not filtered by Spam Assassin. In my case, I first tried sending the spam to a mailbox at an entirely different web host (this worked fine). Now I send it to a mailbox at the same web host, but in a domain that has its own cPanel (which means that Spam Assassin does not filter this mailbox).

Now, when I use my simple Magic Mail Monitor to check the spam email, I can sort by subject and pay the closest attention to those that have the lowest hit count.

------

I find some of the comments above on accessing the spam boxes directly to be quite interesting. In our present situation, we are best served by collecting all the spam into one box, but there are plenty of situations where the best approach is to allow individual users to check their own spam. Spam access via the web is okay for some, but not all, and if it is not easy to see the spam, the consequences are overflowing quotas and the ocassional lost, but important message. It would be nice if cPanel made it easier to get to their spam.

16. novaweb

novaweb Registered

Filter problem

I've tried to set up the same system, but the messages aren't being forwarded.

I have SA enabled (and that works fine). I then set a filter to forward SA-identified messages to an email account at another domain (under a separate cPanel).

When I use the "filter test" feature on the cPanel filter page (to see how cPanel will process a message that SA has identified as spam), it properly recognizes the spam tag, and it indicates the message will be forwarded to the other account. So far, so good.

But then in practice, spam-tagged messages are *NOT* being forwarded to the other account - they are delivered to the original account's inbox with legitimate mail. In short, the spam ID works, but the spam forwarding doesn't.

When I set up filters to forward messages based on other criteria (e.g., the "to" or "from" fields), that works fine. But forwarding based on the spam ID tag hasn't been working here.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Any ideas what may be happening here, or how to resolve?