The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam Assassin doesn't adhere to custom cPanel rules

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by martin MHC, Apr 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. martin MHC

martin MHC Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    WHM: version 62

My Issue:
    SpamAssassin on CPanel gives an option to customise the SpamAssassin criteria and their values, we have had a torrent of spam recently on our server so have implemented reading the headers of various spam messages and updating the SpamAssassin scores as appropriate.

Scores are set, saved and then the SpamAssassin Is restarted to implement the new settings.

BUT:
    The new spam score counts and threshold levels are not being applied to emails appearing in the inbox.

Images below:
    1) Setup (with highlights):

- Removed -

2) Spam header (highlighted) :

- Removed -

I have read on various other threads (there is a bibliography at the bottom of this question) about giving SpamAssassin a central alternative configuration file, however this seems to be for server-wide settings rather than account specific settings and if there is this ability in Cpanel to set custom values (image 1) then why does this not implement on Spam Assassin as applied to incoming mail ?

I want to ask this new fresh question as
    i) other questions seem server wide rather than account specific.
    ii) Other questions and answers about this often each tell me different things to do and different solutions to the problem (I'm not sure this issue is exactly the same as others, but seems pretty close) and
    iii) other questions are 1+ years old.

Other documents / threads I have read that have confused / not clarified how to apply rules to a Spam Assassin check:

- Customize SpamAssassin score
    - Custom SpamAssassin Rules
    - How to Configure the Apache SpamAssassin Report_Safe Option - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation
    - cPanel overwriting SA rules on a daily basis

My Request:

Please can CPanel provide me with a current working guide as to how to apply these Spam Assassin rules to emails coming in to the associated account mailboxes.

Many thanks.

NOTE: The help reference as given by Michael (How to configure...) doesn't seem to reference the SpamAssassin customisation via cPanel .

#1 martin MHC, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It looks like the images you uploaded to show what's happening were linked to a third-party URL. Could you upload the images directly to the thread in your response?

Thank you.

3. martin MHC

martin MHC Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael, Image uploaded on this post. sorry about that.

Images below:
    1) Setup (with highlights):

CP-SA 1

2) Spam header (highlighted) :

CP-SA 2

Attached Files:

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

5. martin MHC

martin MHC Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This morning I was updating WHM to v62, build 20 and since the update the spam emails I've seen on various accounts has been marked with the correct SamAssassin scores. This isn't conclusive but I've not yet seen an iaccruate score on any spam email headers -- and it is a little odd that I think a previous issue I had was also resolved by applying a coincidental update to WHM, but yes, I think this issue is somehow ironed out.

Cheers

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am happy to see the issue is now addressed. I don't see a particular case that would have fixed the issue, but feel free to let us know if you encounter any additional problems with the custom SpamAssassin rules.

Thank you.