The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam Assassin for an add-on domain--how?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erwaxman, Oct 21, 2003.

1. erwaxman

erwaxman Registered

Spam Assassin works okay for my main domain, but it doesn't work at all for my add-on domain. Can I configure it to work with my add-on domain? If so, how?

2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Dear erwaxman,

Spam Assassin is configured globally for the whole account(that includes all addons and parked domains).Once configured for the main domain, it should also work for the add-on domain. You dont need to do anything separately.

Regards,

3. erwaxman

erwaxman Registered

Mr

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that there wasn't anything that I could do aside from setting up the main configuration. For whatever reason, Spam Assassin works okay for my main domain but doesn't work at all for my add-on domain. As I was being inundated with spam, I decided to dump Spam Assassin and try a different approach.

The spam was all going to the info@domain.com addresses that I had posted at both sites, so I took down those addresses and substituted form mailers. Then I set up the following forwarder for each info@domain.com address:

:fail: no such address here

Now all e-mail sent to either info@domain.com address gets bounced with a "no such address here" message. Suddenly I'm not getting any more spam, which is wonderful. I don't even need a Spam folder any more.

Using a forwarder is much better than using Spam Assassin or e-mail filters. If you're using "info" as your default address, of course, you'll have to change the default address to something else.

In case I'm not the last person on earth who managed to figure it out, posting an e-mail address on a site is a sure way to get tons of spam. Setting up a form mailer for people who want to contact you gets around the spam problem.

I didn't really like Spam Assassin anyway.