The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam Assassin issues

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by yosmc, Sep 27, 2012.

1. yosmc

yosmc Member

Ever since I've moved from a dedicated server, running DA, to a VPS machine, running Cpanel, I've been having problems with spam control (=there are way more spam mails coming through than they used to). Since Spamassassin is the only thing that didn't change (and to my knowledge, I've migrated my own config files as well), the difference must be somewhere else. Unfortunately, I don't even know which tree to bark up at.

My ideas are that either Cpanel has some weird hidden default settings that are in conflict with my real-life expectations (wouldn't be the first time). Or maybe it's about the VPS: At one point I found a log message indicating that the "public DNS services" my account uses as forwarders were blacklisted on the free spam database DNSBL, apparently because of high traffic. So even if that may not be causing the issues, the circumstances on my VPS server *may* at least lead to situations where spam control doesn't work as well as it would on a dedicated machine.

Unfortunately I'm just poking around here. Any ideas/suggestions highly welcome!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In one of the cPanel accounts getting lots of spam, what is the Default Address options, set to? You can get a lot of spam depending on this. Also, Forwarded email is not scanned, just forwarded on to the next box.

Not sure if the Info is helpful, but worth looking into.

3. yosmc

yosmc Member

Default address options: all unrouted email is discarded

It is also not a forwarding issue - the 30+ spam mails that came through in the past 24 hours were all all scanned, it's just that they didn't score high enough.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What Spam Assassin config files did you migrate? Could this be the issue? No clue. Please feel free to open a ticket to cPanel support on this, I'm sure the cPanel Migrations team can help get this sorted for you.

You can open a ticket directly from your WHM, top right corner is a support menu, on it a link to, Contact cPanel.