The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam Assassin scoring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HostIt, Aug 25, 2007.

1. HostIt

HostIt Well-Known Member

I know this isn't the Spam Assassin forum, but I just thought I'd ask fellow cPanel adminitrators a quick question about how they handle this particular issue (or whether I'm misunderstanding something about it)...

I'd love to add more rules to SA, and have done so in the past. The problem I see with doing so however is that each new set of rules you add increases the potential score of each email. If you add enough rules it gets to a point where you need to start increasing people's default score trigger for fear of everything being tagged SPAM...

To my mind, SA should average out the scores based on each rule's weighting, rather than simply adding all of the scores together. This way, on a level playing field of 0-10 (for example), 10 will ALWAYS be a SPAM, 0 will NEVER be, and a 5 will be 50/50. This would remain true no matter how many rules you added - the only difference being an increased range of SPAM detection tricks.

My understanding is that this isn't the way SA works however, and the more rules you add, the higher the scores potentially become. For this reason alone I'm reluctant to start adding more rules, as users will start to lose legitimate email and will need to keep increasing their required_score to keep up with the rules. That's just not practical.

Is there anything wrong with my understanding of this?