Spam Assassin spamd max children setting?

sneader

Aug 21, 2003
La Crosse, WI
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
10-30 times per hour, my /var/log/maillog is showing:

(snip)
Aug 16 17:38:21 www4 spamd[30280]: prefork: server reached --max-children setting, consider raising it
Aug 16 17:38:31 www4 spamd[30280]: prefork: server reached --max-children setting, consider raising it
Aug 16 17:49:42 www4 spamd[30280]: prefork: server reached --max-children setting, consider raising it
Aug 16 17:51:08 www4 spamd[30280]: prefork: server reached --max-children setting, consider raising it
(snip)

Not finding much in the forms on this -- any push in the right direction would be appreciated.

- Scott

adapter

PartnerNOC
Sep 17, 2003
prefork: server reached --max-clients setting, consider raising it

Go to WHM / cPanel xx.x.x-xxx / Addon Modules, and install spamdconf. Close your WHM, and reopen it again. You will find the menu 'Setup Spamd Startup Configuration' at the bottom of the left menu. Change the Maximum Children to suitable your need. Mine set it to 10.

url: http://www.rvskin.com/index.php?page=public/antispam

mambovince

Jan 15, 2005
London, UK
I am having similar problems with services failing on a regular basis, but system admin has just advised reducing these:

I would suggest you to optimize Spamd config in WHM >> Plugins >> Spamd Startup Configuration and reduce the Max Child and Max Connections Perl Child to fllowings -

Maximum Children = 1
Maximum Connections Perl Child = 25
So which is correct, to reduce or increase?? :confused:

- Vince

raystrach

Aug 21, 2010
keep children small

i have been having trouble with the server crashing for no apparent reason. in my search for answers i found this page

Troubleshooting Memory Usage - RimuHosting

it recommends that you keep the settings as follows...
max-children 1

because of multi threading, the spam assassin processes can use up quite a lot of memory. it evidently works quite well with just one thread.

now that i know how to reset it, i will give it a try to see if things improve

hope this helps someone