The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spam blockers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chadi, Jun 30, 2004.

1. chadi

chadi BANNED

What is the BEST way to block spam from the entire server in general?

2. jrf

jrf Well-Known Member

I know there is a fair bit on the BBS about stopping spam. However, after a bit of searching I have not found a unified group of solutions. Spam is now getting to be a major headache for me and wondering if anyone has come up with any good solutions?

My biggest problems are emails sent to my customers who have them forwarded, and then report them as spam to their ISP and the ISP sees my IP address (forward from me) and then blocks my IP address.

Any one that has had great success with blocking spam, please chime in.

THANKS!

#2 jrf, Aug 6, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

We find that the MailScanner configuration that we use (and provide) detects around 98% of spam.

4. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

5. bashprompt18

bashprompt18 Active Member

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

SPF will do nothing to reduce your levels of spam.

7. bashprompt18

bashprompt18 Active Member

That is VERY untrue. It has been one of the many things that has reduced my spam
    and the load on my Virus Scanner.

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

9. myrem

myrem Well-Known Member

About the only thing SPF is currently good for is slowing down virus spreading.... which most frequently occurs when a potential victim receives an email from someone they 'know' or are somehow acquanted with through a 3rd party. For instance, if you receive an email from your sister's friend "Bob" bob@aol.com, you can pretty much be assured, with SPF, that at least the email originated from AOL's network and most likely came from Bob.

As for SPAM, SPF will do nothing under it's current specifications. But I applaud them for at least trying to move in the right direction... which is SMTP auth.

#9 myrem, Aug 7, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  10. wemail

wemail Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How to activate SRS in Exim

I posted this matter as a new thread a few weeks ago, and got no useful response. There must be folks who have activated SRS in Exim on cPanel.

Following an email from <miles@mirtol.com> a colleague compiled and installed the file libsrs_alt, but we are not 100% sure what to put in the Exim config other than:

hide srs_config = securitystring
    & srs = reverseandforward

Just putting them in it doesn't work. I am not sure about the name and correct location for the compiled file.

Any ideas please?

11. tooky

tooky Member

warning:block listings(spamhaus or other rbl) can badly affect your cpanel servers

Hi,

Right now I am dealing with the RBL Spamhaus to be de-listed. I have erroniously been listed in a blocklist. Here is the listing so you can see it yourself: http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/index.lasso
    Then enter the sbl# at the bottom: SBL64224

There was no spam sent from my server, so I have nothing I can do to prove the problem was solved. This is between the data center, spamhaus, and those other ips. My ip is being trashed for no reason...I got netted in what they call a blocklist. This is totally unfair and impossible to defend against!!!

Because my ip is associated with another ip, the entire cpanel server including my resellers who have their own ip are having their mail returned to them as junkmail!!!!

This has knocked out mail service for hundreds of email users!!

The folks over at spamhaus are ignoring my request to be de-listed. The wont even return my email at this point.

This is a real pickle because I think I am going to have to change the main ip for my cpanel server.. :[ I know that is going to be a can of worms!!

Service has been out for 55 hours now and spamhaus won't even reply to my emails.

These listings almost make running a cpanel server not worth it. Yes it happened to me before at a different data center and a different list. Same thing...a block list. it was a huge pain in the rear.

Their sbl listings can wreck your cpanel server, and cause you a ton of headaches. trying to fix it!!!

Beware of the Spamhaus SBL block listing!! :eek::eek::eek:

Best,

Jon T.