The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam Bypassing MX Record

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by acenetryan, Apr 10, 2008.

1. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We use a Barracuda spam firewall to filter spam. However, some spam bypasses the filter by sending directly to the site's IP instead of to the MX record. I'm looking for a way to deny mail sent directly to the server. The catch is I need to be able to do this on a per domain basis, not all domains on the server utilize the Barracuda firewall.

I'm guessing this will require custom exim.conf modifications. Anyone know if this functionality is possible via a cPanel-sanctioned method? We'd like the changes to persist across cPanel updates.

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere. Hard to search for results when a key term is "MX" and the forums require a minimum search length of 3 characters.

2. Daniel W

Daniel W Member

#2 Daniel W, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  3. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

4. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @acenetryan @acenetgeorge (I mentioned you because ryan seems to have not been on in a while) is this still a good method of performing this? I am having the identical issue and am being told that I can't whitelist only messages coming from the filtering service's IP address for only one domain on a shared server, but it seems that your method would do exactly that.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator