The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam email filling mail queue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by randee, Jul 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. randee

randee Member

We had an email account hacked last night and they dumped some 115,000+ outgoing emails into the outgoing mail que!
    I had hourly limits set, so the damage was not catastrophic but it took almost 2 hours to delete the outgoing que! I didn't want to dump the whole outgoing que as there were legitimate emails from other accounts in there yet too.

Is there a way to limit the outgoing que for any one domain or account? (Like allow up to 100 emails staged in the outgoing que at any one time from that account or domain.)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can configure the server to only queue a specific number of emails beyond the limit, and then discard the rest. The following document outlines how you can configure the server to discard messages that exceed the limit:

How to Prevent Spam with Mail Limiting Features - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

3. bhcomjared

bhcomjared Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From what I read in the documents, doing this would kill all email sent from that domain in that time span once that limit was reached. If that's true, that's not a very good method.

Is there a single email user option?
    So if a single email user was compromised, only that email address would get locked?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Unfortunately, the hourly email limits are for the entire domain name as opposed to individual email accounts. I encourage you to vote and add feedback to the existing feature request for per-email-account email limits at:

Mail sending limits per email account (rather than per domain)

Thank you.