The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPAM - filtering out image spam with Apache SpamAssassin

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by djblamire, Nov 5, 2006.

1. djblamire

djblamire Well-Known Member

I have been running SpamAssassin for sometime now, and it is filtering out a very large amount of spam - which is great.

However, over the last couple of weeks, I have been getting spam that appears to be basically random text/sentences, along with an image file - which contains the real 'spam' message.

Is there an easy way to filter out these types of messages using SpamAssassin ??

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

2. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

We are also getting tons of these and filters aint good enuf.

I recalled it can be done by limiting the attachments types but just cant remember where to tweak these.

Any Guru's advise would be great indeed.

3. hgrfoshee

hgrfoshee Member
    PartnerNOC

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Those stupid image spams are a real pain. I get a hundred a day of them between my different accounts. That plugin sounds interesting, but considering what it has to do, it would probably be hard on the server to have to process all the email.

5. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

Did some reading and found that sendmail itself does not look at the content of a message, so it is not in a position to strip attachments. You need a filtering package that works with sendmail. You might want to look at www.milter.org for some open source solutions that use our "milter" facility. There's also something called MIMEDefang that can do it. You can also get commercial products to do it (see www.sendmail.com for example).

There is a free version of CanIT which we are trying out now, available at http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/antiSpam/canItFreeVersion

#5 brendanrtg, Nov 5, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2006