The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spam from an insecure phpnuke

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mahdionline, Jan 16, 2005.

1. mahdionline

mahdionline Well-Known Member

Hi
    one of our server faced with a strange probelm. some day ago i receive a email from abuse@ev1server.net that say :

A spammer use one of customer site to send spam. they say the spammer use an insecure phpnuke to his work.

but we have about 200 phpnuke on our server ! ! now how can i discover that which account sent spams ?

Best Regard

#1 mahdionline, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Hire a capable system admin ? If the scripts were installed by cpanel's script installer, use the addon module available to update all phpnuke installs, thats a first step. Do some research. Find out what known vulnerabilities there are in what versions of phpnuke that could cause such a thing to happen. Lock down your system, scan your logs, scan all the phpnuke installs for version numbers and ensure they're up to date, contact your clients and inform them to update or face suspension. If you don't suspend them for not updating, i'm sure ev1 will just pull the plug on your server so you might as well get a move on!

3. Curious Too

Curious Too Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

The newer versions of Nuke include a Webmail module that any registered nuke user can use to send spam. I had a couple of servers get hit by spammers this way.

4. magin

magin Well-Known Member

i found a lot of spam also in my server, i checked one mail on the queue and found the webmail footer on it, result upgrade your nuke or not use at all cause is insecure i been trough a lot of problems with nukes intallations