The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spam getting through despite being flagged

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by abubin, Sep 11, 2007.

1. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am using mailscanner package by configserver. Version 4.01 with mailscanner 2.58 and clamav 0.91.1. I am still using cpanel 10.

Problem is that I am seeing spams getting through the server. I have set for spams to be "deleted" automatically in mailscanner and this has been working fine for years. Today, my users are complaining that they are getting a lot of spams with title something like this "{Spam?} Fw: Thank you, we are ready to give your company a loan".

I have looked at the logs and this email have a score of 9.00 by spamassassin.

So, how come it get through mailscanner?

Anyone have any idea how to find out? Don't ask me to upgrade unless you know for sure it's due to old version.

Thanks in advance.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I won't. But I do know I'm running the same as you and cPanel11 (CURRENT) and don't have the problems you are. And of course chirpy keeps us all up to date to stay current with cPanels changes.

So, do what you want. I'm not gonna say it. But I might ask, why haven't you? :p

3. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

well...if it ain't broken don't fix it. I'll wait for the second phase of cpanel 11 to complete before upgrading. Meanwhile, anyone know how i check what's the problem?

#3 abubin, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might want to backup any custom changes you have in EXIM and reset it to defaults then reapply your changes as needed and see how it goes. I saw a post here by chirpy suggesting something like this but I've not had any problems so far. (although I have backed up all my customizations just in case)

BTW;
    MailScanner Script - v2.59
    ClamAV - v0.91.2
    MailScanner Front-End - v4.16

It may not be broke, but you're surely out of date on several scripts.

'don't fix it it ain't broke' sometimes it not the best way to go. ;)

Good luck.

5. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

hmm...so the only way I can do is try to "fix" this problem instead of finding out what's wrong and fix from there?

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You could try. You might ask over at configserver forums. But my guess would be you need to stay up to date with your software so the changes made will work as they should. Doesn't make sense to try and fix up older versions of something when an upgrade might solve it quicker and easier.

Once you get there, if you still have problems, then its time to troubleshoot and see whats what.