mias

Registered
Feb 22, 2020
turkey
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello everyone,

Our mailboxes are under spam bombardment and I am unable to do anything about it. I have checked the web nd the forums but it all starts with enabling the spam assassin or something else from the main panel. The problem that I have is, there is no spam option in my main panel and unfortunately I haven't seen a problem like mine anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to add the spam box in my main control panel?

Thanks

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You have listed yourself as being a web site owner, in which case, you probably only have CPanel access.
The only tools you probably have would be Global filters.
It's not ideal, but if you can determine a pattern, ie same words over and over, same phrases etc, then it might work for you.

Everything else which I'm about to suggest is related to WHM, and you don't have access to WHM.

I'd suggest a call out to your reseller or hosting provider for help.

Things to try:

Install CSF Firewall, try and determine the IP addresses or a subnet of the offending sender and block in CSF firewall.
Try to determine the country of origin from the IP's and block the country. (use the filter by country option)
Are these coming from the same domain, (use the filter by domain option)

In exim config under RBL's ensure that SpamCop and SpamHuas are enabled.
Under custom RBL's add the ones as suggested in my image.

Install SPF and DKIM on your domain.

Attachments

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello everyone,

Our mailboxes are under spam bombardment and I am unable to do anything about it. I have checked the web nd the forums but it all starts with enabling the spam assassin or something else from the main panel. The problem that I have is, there is no spam option in my main panel and unfortunately I haven't seen a problem like mine anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to add the spam box in my main control panel?

Thanks
1. If Spam Assassin is not available for you at cPanel>>Email>>Spam Filters I would suggest addressing this with your provider first

2. If they don't have this available to users and do not have other services available for users, as @keat63 noted you will want to defer to User level and Global email filters. There are quite a few resources on the forums for these as well.

3. The only other alternative without some spam filtering available and without the use of spamassassin or filters would be to obtain the services of a 3rd party vendor that does spam filtering.

wonder_wonder

Jan 16, 2019
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @cPanelLauren ,

True, something so accessible from cpanel and with very good results, and I had completely missed it, Spam Assasin, it has been completely overlooked ...

With Spam Assasin with a client I was able to lower his incoming spam very much, a tool that works very well. I totally missed ...

Regards!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @cPanelLauren ,

True, something so accessible from cpanel and with very good results, and I had completely missed it, Spam Assasin, it has been completely overlooked ...

With Spam Assasin with a client I was able to lower his incoming spam very much, a tool that works very well. I totally missed ...

Regards!
I'm so happy to hear that! I truly believe that SpamAssassin is really underutilized, it's incredibly flexible and while it'd be hard to implement the same advanced spam settings for everyone, if you do a little reading and research it can be an extremely robust solution. I love that we offer the different rulesets now and there are tons of them available.
I'd check out:

as well as WritingRules - SPAMASSASSIN - Apache Software Foundation

Reactions: wonder_wonder

wonder_wonder

Jan 16, 2019
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm so happy to hear that! I truly believe that SpamAssassin is really underutilized, it's incredibly flexible and while it'd be hard to implement the same advanced spam settings for everyone, if you do a little reading and research it can be an extremely robust solution. I love that we offer the different rulesets now and there are tons of them available.
I'd check out:

as well as WritingRules - SPAMASSASSIN - Apache Software Foundation
That's right, as you say, it is a tool that, well configured, offers a very good anti spam option. In a client, in the past, I configured spam assasin and the result was excellent. As for me it is a default option and the first one to use in case of spam, in this thread, I completely missed mentioning it, assuming it was activated ... :)

Reactions: cPanelLauren