The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam protection (Thanks to Chirpy)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by motoenth, Feb 17, 2005.

1. motoenth

motoenth Member

I've been visiting this forum for a while and don't have a lot of posts but I felt this was important enough to share.

If any of you are tired of banging your head against a wall trying to combat spam, please visit http://www.configserver.com/cp/mailscanner.html and buy this service. It was installed quickly and I couldn't be happier. It's packed full of features and darn easy to manage. I'm thankful I found it.

Thanks very much, Jonathon!

Blair

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Many of us are using his excellent MailScanner script and also the WHM addons which make configuring MS a breeze.

3. motoenth

motoenth Member

Sawbuck -

The more I use these features, the more I'm amazed that it was only $35!

Blair

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well no one can ever say Jonathan does not give good bang for the buck. (good thing I spelled that right) :D

Jonathan is one of the few people I would ever trust giving access to our servers. :cool:

5. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Definitely a bargain and Chirpy is one of the best in the business!

6. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've actually been getting more business thanks to Chirpy's service. As people complain about spam, my customers mention that they don't get much anymore. Ring ring.... hi, I hear your servers get no spam? :)

Even if you can do it yourself, the cost of having Jonathon doing it makes it a no-brainer.

Brian

7. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I've ordered Chirpy's MailScanner package today and should hopefully have it installed some time soon.

Even though I haven't felt the power of it in practice, I still have to agree that it seems the world's best bargain for only $35.

8. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Highly recommended

Hi All:

Chirpy installed the Mailscanner package last night for me and I was blown away by the functionality of his package when I checked the server out this morning.

This package blows away the Exiscan - ClamAV - Exim offering that is being mentioned on these boards. I used the Exiscan service with cPanel's installation of Spam Assassin and it was simply not doing the job of keeping up with the unending onslaught of the spamming hordes.

I would recommend this package whole-heartedly and you may want to order it before Chirpy becomes a good capitalist and raises the price of the installation. ;) Especially after he reads all of this great feedback.

Chirpy and RFX Networks is a credit to the web hosting industry.

Brian

9. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Really what is provided in Cpanel is already more than sufficient in controlling SPAM
    assuming you take a few moments to configure "Spamassassin" and "Exim" properly.

By default, both of those programs are not really configured for SPAM by cPanel
    but that is something that only takes a few moments to fix and will make your
    spam protection about a million times more effective ....

In your Linux shell as root, do the following:
    Next, login to your WHM control panel for your server and open
    up the "Exim Configuration Editor" under the "Service Configuration" section
    and make sure the following option is checked:

"Verify the existance of email senders"

Next, click on the button labeled "Switch to Advanced Mode". This will allow
    you to directly edit the configuration for the Exim mail server so you can
    give your server the ability to check incoming mail against blacklists
    immediately upon the SMTP initial connection.

In the very first whitebox you see where it says "#!!# cPanel Exim 4 Config"
    just above the whitebox, paste the following lines:
    Scroll on down to where it says "begin acl" and you will see 3 whitebox areas
    under that line that you can input configuration instructions.

In the center box of those 3 whiteboxes, paste the following:
    (NOTE: If you get any error messages when saving your EXIM config, long wrapping
    lines probably got cut into two lines in your cut and paste, EXIM doesn't like this so
    any wrapping lines should be put back together into 1 single line. An example
    would be the "dnslists" line above which is very long)

Continuing on, next scroll on down to the first whitebox you see under the
    section labeled "ROUTERS CONFIGURATION" and paste the following lines:
    Save your Exim configuration. All mail is now verified and also checked
    against the major blacklists and known spam senders are blocked immediately
    upon connecting to your SMTP server.

Now if you want to find out how much SPAM you have already blocked with
    the new settings I just gave you above, just go to "/var/log" in your Linux
    shell and type the following commands:
    The number returned is the number of incoming messages from known
    spam senders that were blocked immediately upon connection.

If you want to actually see the list, delete the "-c" from the above command.

The next thing I would do is go back into your Linux shell and optimize the
    configuration for Spamassassin and increase the score on those rules that
    would only be in SPAM messages. An example from my own server would be:
    Spamassassin rule updates can be put either in "/etc/mail/spammassin/local.cf" for
    global server wide configuration changes or locally on each individual account by
    editing "/home/(login)/.spamassassin/user_prefs"

For a detailed description of all the options you can set in those files, please see:
    http://spamassassin.apache.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

You also might want to check out the "configuration tool" page by Michael Moncur
    which will actually write your configuration file for you based upon configuration options
    that you choose on his page at http://www.yrex.com/spam/spamconfig.php

Hope that helps. Good luck and happy SPAM trapping ...

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

One of the main problems of that approach, IMO, is that:

1. Users have no control over blocked email, i.e. if they require all email to be delievered and not blocked, the RBL checking is of no use to them. There are many companies (esp legal and financial ones) that must have all email delievered, but still want any spam specifically tagged that is on an RBL.

2. IIRC, forwarded, piped and outgoing email is not scanned

3. Your configuration options are a whole factor lower than with MailScanner where you can have nearly every option very easily tweaked on a per email address level which simply is not possible using SA+Exim, especially on exactly how you want to process each and every email address

Whatever the differences, you obviously do what works best for you and the needs of your clients. If you don't need much control, then your suggestions are great, however with a complex set of requirements for web hosting clients, we've found that MailScanners configurability is hard to match with any other solution :)

#10 chirpy, Jun 25, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  11. ramorse

ramorse Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    MailScanner looks good. I am interested. I've been very frustrated with the inconsistency of SpamAssassin. What about the cpanel service packages? Has anyone had experience with them?

12. motoenth

motoenth Member

We use Jonathan's cPanel service and couldn't be happier. We were having lots of problems that we couldn't figure out and decided to sign up for the monthly service. He came in and cleared up ALL our problems, made great suggestions that we now implement and, basically, took over as our sysadmin. Trying to manage our server was a chore that was taking time away from serving our customers.

His services are just great... what more can I say?

Blair

13. Fractal

Fractal Member

I wouldn't use sorbs.net blacklist

Great How-to Spiral.

I noticed one of the blacklists was sorbs.net though. In my opinion I don't think they are very good as they will often block and entire netblock if one or two IPs on it are spamming. If you are on the same netblock as a spammer you could be out of luck.

To make matters worse many hosts use the same IP for lots of different virtual accounts. If someone on one the same IP as you spams they will put your IP on the blacklist and not remove it until you pay $50.00. So even if the spammer is removed from the server, you still need to pay $50.00 to be removed.

Maybe I am missing something but not only does this seem almost like extortion to me, but spammers could just "buy" the right to spam again.

-Fractal

#13 Fractal, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  14. forlinuxsupport

forlinuxsupport Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Chirpy (Jonathan) definitely lives up the Linux ethos.. :D

Knowlegde shared is knowledge gained :)

Thanks for all the help you have given me Jonathan :)

15. wipl

wipl Active Member

Chirpy rocks :) ...we had been using his mailscanner packages on all servers and not only this has helped us to bring down the load but also to reduce the amount of spam and viruses.

He is the gem & rocking start of this community :)

16. ctbhost

ctbhost Well-Known Member

just had chirpy install mailscanner on my server, and was thinking today 'gee not gettign many emails today' then realised it was just the spam had decreased so much.

fantastic

i spent days trying to reduce spam my self, all i ended up doing is causing problems with incomming legitimate emails for some clients.

i spent 5 mins sighning up for chirpys service and a few bucks and in just over a week i have noticed a huge reduction in spam.

WELL DONE CHIRPY

17. Drew Nichols

Drew Nichols Well-Known Member

I'm really wanting to do this. Cost is not an issue, I just wonder what we'll do if cpup ever breaks something and Cpanel won't support the mail issue due to having this?

Spam has absolutely gotten out of control for our server, and SA just doesn't do it.

18. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Chirpy will handle any issues that cpanel breaks in a prompt professional fashion.

We had a cpanel update break MS and chirpy had it fixed for us within a hr of submitting a ticket :D

19. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's also quite simple to remove MailScanner from the mail process for checking/support issues incase MailScanner is an issue for support to help.

20. wipl

wipl Active Member

With Chirpy's Script it would take less than 2 minutes to uninstall the mailscanner package should you require it to be removed ;)