The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPAM, Quota, Forward Question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ryangruhn, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Registered

Everyone,
    I am experiencing a catch 22 :) I currently have a number of accounts in Mail Account Maintanence that have been bombarded with spam. Because of this, they have found a way in the back door and have sucessfully changed some of my files several times.

After this happened the second time I put the quota of the inboxes to 1 mb. What I am wondering is if I use these accounts only to send messages via POP/SMTP, if the box is full on the server, will I still recieve all of my messages because of the forwarder?

Let Me Know,

Gruhn

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have a forwarder for bob@domain.com and you have a POP3 account of 1 MB quota for bob@domain.com, the server will accept mail into the bob@domain.com mailbox AND forward a copy of the mail to wherever you specified in the forwarder.

And this also means that if the quota on bob@domain.com mailbox is reached, the server will either reject any further incoming messages during SMTP or accept them and queue them up until the mailbox is emptied and can accept further mail.

If you absolutely do not want the server to store mail for bob@domain.com, then do not set up a POP3 account for bob@domain.com. Of course that will mean that you won't be able to log into the server and send mail via webmail for bob@domain.com.

Mike

3. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Registered

The only reason that I use the accounts is to send email, not to check it online. Is there some way to send email using email@domain.com if I don't have an account set up?

Let Me Know,

4. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Well, one way might be to kill off the actual mailboxes for them but keep the forwarding and then create bogus pop3 boxes which should not get any email but allow you pop-before-smtp authentication so you can send out.

Create something like bogus12345@domain.com with a good password (so nobody can play with it).

Now when you do a "send/receive" you would be authenticating against a dummy account but can send out with a different valid email address and/or reply address.

I am assuming you are using something like Outlook Express, so I think you can set the Account Name in the Incoming Server to the bogus12345@domain.com but in the "General" tab under Email Address and Reply Address you could put your real email info.

If this makes sense, try one to be sure. Create it and send yourself a couple emails. I think the logic works.