[email protected]

Aug 3, 2016
Everywhere
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Recently I see that from a particular domain example: mydomain.com someone (remote) sends email to mydomain.com email address..

Example: I have an email account [email protected]

The spammer send me an email as: [email protected]

The headers:

Code:
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Something

Delivered-To: [email protected]

Envelope-to: [email protected]
Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Return-Path: <[email protected]>

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 14.0

X-Spam-Flag: YES
1.5 SPF_SOFTFAIL     SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)
I think is a spoof email but the strange in all that is that the message-id at the end has the mydomain.com!!

How it is possible?

Also I have spamassassin that mark that message as spam but how this remote user can send a message like that?

Any advice is highly appreciated!!

MrCanada

Dec 23, 2017
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
1.5 SPF_SOFTFAIL SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)

The SPF is not passing. When SPF doesn't pass there is a good chance the email will go to spam/junk because it can't verify the sender. Have you set up SPF?

[email protected]

Aug 3, 2016
Everywhere
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the reply!
Yes the message marked as SPAM message.
But I can't understand how someone can make message-id at the end have sign of mydomain.com!

I see that this email delivered from -remote- and not local. That I think seems that the account is not hacked. But I can't understand 1st why the server deliver that message (I have spf configured) and 2nd how the -remote- sender make message-id seems that is from mydomain.com!!

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

One option to consider is Sender Verification Callouts, found under the "Mail" tab in "WHM >> Exim Configuration Manager >> Basic Editor". Per it's description:

Use callouts to verify the existence of email senders. Exim will connect to the mail exchanger for a given address to verify it exists before accepting mail from it.

However, generally the better approach is to implement a technology such as like S/MIME or PGP to sign individual messages. It's not a feature offered in cPanel & WHM directly, and thus would require your email users to setup their email clients to use the technology. Once configured, the user's email client could indicate that a message was not signed (and thus is forged).

Thank you.

Reactions: [email protected]