The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icanectc, May 5, 2004.

1. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

Question about Spam Assassin, I noticed that it works well and identifies spam however i still get the spammed message it just says. Hey look I cought this and its potentially spam... Yayay for me! But I get 1,000 of these a day, basically I dont get anymore spam but I get spammed from spam assassin telling me its stopped spam... How do I tell it to just delete the darn thing. I know I could setup a mail rule to have all items marked as spam to go some where. But is there an option to just have it delete it before it gets downloaded?

Also where is the spam assassin conf files located at? I noticed the auto-learn feature is off and i want to turn it on. Thanks!

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

The way we do it is setup rules in Outlook. We have each message get the *****SPAM***** rewrite in the subject and anything that comes in like that is automatically deleted. You can use the spam box, but then you have to clean it out or it can get large quickly.

3. charlie

charlie Member

The configuration file is in /home/username/.spamassassin/user_prefs There are lots of options you can manually add to the user_prefs file.

SA Learn is on for most cpanel installations, it requires some time before enough data is looked at to acitvate the baysian databases. It appears that autolearn=off only means that particular message has not been used for baysian learning.

Look in Cpanel's e-mail filters section for information on discarding e-mails that are tagged by Spam Assassin. The Blue Lagoon theme has special instructions for setting up the discard filter, some other themes do not. This filter will discard any SA tagged e-mails that exceed the trigger score set in the user_prefs file.

You can also use an e-mail filter like
    "Any Headers begin with X-Spam-Level: ************ DISCARD" (there is a space between the colon and first *)
    This would discard any e-mails tagged by Spam Assassin with a score of 12 or higher. The * reflect the score. This filter works independently of the SA trigger score in the user_prefs file.

These filters works for all POP accounts created by you, it will not work on your main or sweep e-mail account. You get around this by creating a POP account and then using Cpanel, make the new POP account your Default Account. Add the account to your local e-mail software (Outlook, OE, Eudora, etc.)

I hope some of this info helps.