The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spamassasin: Decimal score?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Pda0, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Pda0

Pda0 Well-Known Member

I recently upgraded to Cpanel 11, but haven't converted to Maildir yet. As others on the forum have stated, ive been getting more spam lately and hence im investigating.

Code:
    X-Spam-Status: No, score=2.9
    X-Spam-Score: 29
    X-Spam-Bar: ++
    X-Spam-Flag: NO
    Ive analyzed a spam email that got through some moments ago, and it looks like it's score 29 (or 2.9?) should have been rejected by the ACL >20 rule, but didn't.

I have several spam emails that have negative scores (ham), including one with the word "V1agra" in it! I wonder what happened with spamassasin, in cpanel 10 those words seemed to be heavily penalized.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

.pd

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The X-Spam-Score that you are seeing in the headers is just the actual spam scored multiplied by 10. This is basically done to do away with the decimal. In this particular message the spam score is really 2.9, but using decimals in comparison routines can be problematic, so in this instance the spam score is multiplied by 10 to get rid of the decimal scores.

Virtually all SpamAssassin scores are going to be a value of number.number (i.e. 5.2 or 10.5) so just multiplying by 10 does away with the decimals and still puts you on even playing ground (i.e. 52 or 105).

If you have Exim configured to reject messages that are scored higher than 20, Exim actually looks for a spam score that is >= 200 (20.0 * 10).

This particular message that you showed is only registering a 2.9 in SpamAssassin which is less than the required 20.0 to force a rejection.

Hope this helps.

3. Pda0

Pda0 Well-Known Member

I see, thanks for the information and your time.

.pd