Spamassasin filter foreign language emails

nisamudeen97

Jul 7, 2010
Cochin
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

I would like to do global filtering of foreign language emails using Spamassasin. I would like to reject emails especially Chinese. I have gone through different docs regarding the same. Below are the ones which I have followed for testing. Meanwhile I could see non are helpful. Still I receive Chinese emails. I have tried to debug the case and found the below error in "/var/log/maillog". Look to have some expert advise on this.

lifewire.com/spamassassin-foreign-language-spam-1166250

weavweb.net/2015/10/11/cpanel-email-filtering-to-stop-chinese-or-non-english-character-spam/

config: failed to parse, now a plugin, skipping, in "/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf": ok_languages en de la th sv

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Could you let us know the specific changes you made to the /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf file?

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

You'd need to also enable the TextCat plugin referenced at:

ImproveAccuracy - Spamassassin Wiki

To do so, add the following line to the /etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre file:

Code:
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::TextCat
Then, restart SpamAssassin via:

Code:
/scripts/restartsrv_spamd
Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature if you'd like us to take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

To update, a symbolic link was created using the below commands to ensure the TextCat SpamAssassin plugin worked as expected:

Code:
cd /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/
ln -s updates_spamassassin_org/languages languages
Thank you.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I once wrote a filter rule to block chinese emails.
Take a look at all the chinese emails that your recieve and you'll start to spot a few common chinese characters.
I copied and pasted a few in to a global filter rule, they almost stopped over night.