Spamassasin Filter not working


Active Member
Mar 9, 2006

I have a dedicated Server with root access.
  • CENTOS 6.7 x86_64 standard – exl
  • WHM 54.0 (build 21)
  • spamd 3.4.1
  • exim-4.86.1-2.cp1154.x86_64
From 31st March onwards I noticed the incoming mails did not have the X-Spam headers.
When we looked at the Spamassasin logs it seems the mails were not filtered through Spam Assasin at all after 31st March.

I have double checked in Server Configuration - Tweek Settings "Enable Apache SpamAssassin™ spam filter" is set to on.

In Exim Configuration I have set Apache SpamAssassin™: Forced Global ON [?] to On to make sure Spamassasin is enabled for all users. In Cpanel for users it is showing as enabled for all.

We have restarted spamd and exim services a number of times and they are working fine.

Here I would like to add I made the following changes to Exim on 31st March but I don't think theses would have caused Spamassassin Filter to be bypassed. These changes were made to prevent outgoing spam, and to prevent spoofing for outgoing mails.

Changes made on 31st March
1. EXPERIMENTAL: Rewrite From: header to match actual sender [?] - Set to Remote.
2. I implemented these custom settings to prevent for Authenticated spoof mails for outgoing mails. This is working. Now outgoing mails get rejected if the sender account and the email address are different.
Blocking spoofed mails going out of your cPanel/WHM web hosting server - Bobcares

I had taken backups of exim configuration files on 21st March and before making these changes on 31st March 2016. I restored both of these configurations, restarted exim, and spamd but still Mail was not going through the Spamassasin Filter.

Any ideas what else I can check ?


Update : I have created a ticket about this with Cpanel Support. They are looking at it.
I will update this thread about the outcome.
Last edited:


Active Member
Mar 9, 2006
Update - Problem is resolved and Spamassassin is checking mails again.
Here is a quote from the Cpanel Support person, on what was done to fix it.

I ran the reset with the "Reset the entire Exim configuration to the default settings provided with cPanel & WHM" option as well as the "Disable third-party and custom ACLs" option.

After that I enabled SpamAssassin with the "Apache SpamAssassinâ„¢: Forced Global ON" setting. Other than those two things I did try reinstalling SpamAssassin previously, however that had no apparent effect until I reset the config.

I'm glad it is working for you now! If you have any questions or if there is anything else that we can assist you with, please let us know. We would be glad to help!
Last edited by a moderator:


Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

I am happy to see the issue is now resolved. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.