The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spamassasin settings

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by rkahn, Jul 12, 2007.

1. rkahn

rkahn Member

If rewrites are so difficult/impossible for end-users to accomplish, then what is the good of spamassasin unless you have it set to delete all possible spam. If you do not set it to delete possible spam, then the spam will just fill your inbox as it would without any spam filters in place. Am I correct in saying this?

To test this out, I recently setup spamassasin without rewrites. I set the spamassasin to discard spam & I then changed my mind because I wanted to see how they came in (if any differently than a normal spam email). To undo this I went into the Email filtering section and deleted the rule pertaining to that to see how the system handled it.

As of right now, when I send myself the GTUBE email, I do not receive it. This is not my goal. My goal is to have some way of identifying spam and separating it in Outlook from my normal email once it arrives. I used to have a rule in Outlook where any email with ***SPAM*** was put in a special folder. That no longer works.

Please let me know of any option(s) you're aware of to assist me.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can still do this (using the new transport method) as long as you configure properly in WHM. In WHM you can select whether you want spamassassin on globally or whether you want to be able to select the domains (via that domain's cpanel interface) that get spamassin. If spamassassin is enabled, it will still be tagging the subject line with ***SPAM***.

Before Cpanel 11 or when using the old transport method:
    - you can set the rewrite field on a per-domain basis
    - domaina.com rewrites their subject as [SPAM] <subject>
    - domainb.com rewrites their subject as ***SPAM*** <subject>
    - etc

But in Cpanel 11, when using the new transport method, then rewrites are the same for all domains that have spamassassin enabled
    - domaina.com has spamassassin enabled - subject rewritten as ***SPAM*** <subject>
    - domainb.com has spamassassin enabled - subject rewritten as ***SPAM*** <subject>
    - ANY domain with spamassassin enabled - subject rewritten as ***SPAM*** <subject>

So you lose the ability to choose a HOW a subject AND use lose the ability of deciding which spamassassin-enabled domains use a subject rewrite at all - instead ALL spamassassin-enabled domains have thei rsubject line prefixed with ***SPAM***

So if your customers were filtering on the existing of ***SPAM*** in the subject line before, they can continue to do so now. Of course, customers can also filter based upon other X-headers in the email as well (unless they are using Outlook Express, which doesn't support filtering based upon the message header).

Mike

3. procam

procam Well-Known Member

So just go to the exim config editor and select ~

Turn on SpamAssassin for all accounts (Global ON).

4. rkahn

rkahn Member

Please let me know if I understood you correctly -

Either all of the domains emails are marked with ***SPAM*** if the end-user enables SpamAssassin OR none of the emails are marked with ***SPAM***. This setting is done at the discretion of the Reseller or Server owner.

There is no end-user control over whether or not their emails' subject lines get the ***SPAM***?

The reason I ask is because I am an end-user and reseller, and I know if I ask the server admin to make a change that affects EVERYONE, it won't fly.

5. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    With Cpanel 11....

If your webhost has SpamAssassin enabled GLOBALLY, then EVERYONE who receives a spam message will have the subject line prefixed with ***SPAM***

If your webhost does NOT have SpamAssassin enabled globally, then EACH account has the option of enabling SpamAssassin on ANY of their domains, or not - however htey choose.

If you DO enable Spamassassin on your domain, then subject lines WILL be prefixed with ***SPAM***.

The bottom line is that if SpamAssassin is running on any domain, then spam messages coming into that domain will have the subject line prefixed with ***SPAM***.

- If SpamAssassin is on for a domain, then ALL users in that domain will have their email subjects prefixed with ***SPAM***.

So, if the webhost has Spamassassin enabled globally, a reseller or regular client cannot override that - all spam email will be prefixed with ***SPAM***

If the webhost does NOT enable spamassassin globally, then the reseller or client has the option of enabling SpamAssassin on a per-domain basis. If they enable SpamAssassin on a domain, ALL spam messages for that domain will have the subject line prefixed with ***SPAM***.

Mike

6. rkahn

rkahn Member

I have the ability to enable SpamAssassin for my account. It says "Please note that SpamAssassin is not configured for rewrites. You should check the X-Spam-Bar header for the spam bar in your filter, or for simplicity, you can also check the X-Spam-Status header for Yes or No."

Please let me know what I should do.

Is there a way to set this up and test it?

Thanks.