Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Spamassassin and bayes learning

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by koda, Feb 27, 2014.

1. koda

koda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I setup (following a guide for CPanel found on the web) a way to "feed" spam assassin Bayesan filters with legit and spam mails.
    Now my doubt is ... when spam assassing finds a spam it tags it wit *** SPAM ... and so on... (I added the score too there) changing the original subject of the email.
    So the mail I will have to feed the filters will include this modified subject line with "SPAM" in it and all the headers added by cpanel/spamassassin.
    Will this mess up the learning process or bayesan filters just act on the actual BODY of the mail ignoring headers, sender, subject and everything else?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

I believe SpamAssassin considers the subjects of the message in addition to the message body. It's possible the manual method you are using to feed emails for learning could have a negative impact. Was the traditional method of having it learn over time not working to your satisfaction?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. koda

koda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes but that was "automated" tuning bayes filters based on what SpamAssassin already consider spam, but it's missing a lot of spam for italian native spammers.
    In this other way I can "teach" him which mails are to be considered spam and which not, and this should be simplier (maybe more accurate) than defining new rules for italian language I think.
    If it takes into account even subjects this may pose a problem ...
    AT the moment I'm forwarding emails from multiple accounts to a single email address with 2 folders I use for this purprose one is for spam and one for ham. And then 1 time a day (or week) feed the SA bayesan filters.

EDIT: I'm starting to find something on this subject... for example here is a way to have bayesian filters ignore the SA headers:

bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Flag
    bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Status
    bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Level
    bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Checker-Version
    bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Report
    bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Bar
    bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Score

#3 koda, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014