The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin and CPU load

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mehrdad abed, Aug 6, 2008.

1. mehrdad abed

mehrdad abed Well-Known Member

Hi,

One of my domain is under heavy spamming attack all the time, he used to enable SpamAssassin to filter the spams and it causes the server load gets overloaded all the time,

To control the spams I just changed this account default email address to be forwarded to "blackhole" but it seems that emails are checked by SpamAssassin before they're forwarded to "blackhole" so it didnt help to lower CPU load, and finally I was forced to disable SpamAssassin (despite my own tendency),

Is the anyway to have SpamAssassin and low CPU load both in this situation ?

Thanks,

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

First make sure you set "fail" instead of "blackhole" as it accepts emails in the queue and process it thus using the server resources. Fail reject emails without accepting it on the server.

Spamd process is known for using high CPU resources.. so make sure you figure out the exact cause of spam attack and take appropriate action.