The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin and Forwarders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff75, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I don't believe SpamAssassin filters email on mail forwarders. Is this correct? If so, is there anyway to modify it so it will filter them?

2. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know the answer to this?

3. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would like to know the answer to this also.

- Scott

4. mobex

mobex Member

Spamassassin has filtered forwarders for me. I have a block in place that forwards any mail that has been tagged as spam to a separate spam account (this is not spambox.) This includes email to forwarding email accounts. It has reduced spam to all email accounts while piling up the spam in one account for weeding. SA has been really good (especially 2.60) in weeding out spam. I don't know why SA wouldn't filter email before forwarding for you.

5. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

Re: Re: SpamAssassin and Forwarders

In your case it is the mailbox where you are redirecting the spam to that is getting filtered by SA, not the forwarder.

You may find the outcome different if you try an external mailbox to collect the spam.

6. mobex

mobex Member

Re: Re: Re: SpamAssassin and Forwarders

No, the mail is filtered by SA first (to both forwarders and physical accounts), which tags the email as spam. If it is tagged as spam by SA, the block forwards it to the spam collection account -- it never reaches the intended recipient regardless if it's a forwarder or a physical account.

Spam directed to forwarding-only accounts are tagged and not forwarded to the intended recipient. They are diverted to the spam collection account. This is really good because there's a forwarder that is starting to get a lot of spam now. SA catches almost all of it.

7. goodmove

You are slightly missing the point.

Have you tried to set up the filter to redirect spam to an "external" mailbox instead of an internal one, and see if the emails for the forwarders (not the mailboxes) are still getting filtered?

#7 goodmove, Nov 2, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2003
  8. Raincross

Raincross Registered

My experience is that SA DOES NOT filter forwarded addresses if the address is not created within the domain housing SA. The e-mail program forwards email and then the recipient program may have or not have a SA filter. Also, SA filters as the LAST filter. According to a WSJ article, SA is the least effective (68%) filter compared to others (up to 90%).:mad:

9. goodmove

That's correct!

> According to a WSJ article, SA is the least effective (68%) filter compared to others (up to 90%).

That is certainly not the case in my experience. Then again, I set the lower limit at 3.2 points, so maybe that's why I have a 99% success rate...

WSJ may be biased towards commercial filtering products. This site, for instance, has different ideas:

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/964/