The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin auto-tag SUBJ /w SPAM

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Mudshark, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Mudshark

Mudshark Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I'm sorry to say there is so much documentation I am overwhelmed trying to find how to create a particular configuration. While I am trying to learn, can you help? I hope so.

All I want to do is TAG incoming suspected SPAM by inserting a *SPAM* string at the beginning of the subject line and then delivered said email to my In-box

I have a cPanel reseller account with settings thusly:
    * Apache SpamAssassin™ is currently enabled.
    * Spam Auto-Delete is Disabled
    * Spam Box is currently Disabled
    * Under "Apache SpamAssassin Configuration" the only thing filled in at all is the score, set = 6.

Now there *MUST BE* a way to have any mssg score 6 or higher get the subject line tagged but I don't see how to do it.

Thank you.

2. Mudshark

Mudshark Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    This seems like it ought t6o be simple enough but I cannot find this documentation.

3. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As a reseller I don't think you can edit the EXIM settings.
    "SpamAssassin™: Global Subject Rewrite [?]
    Prefixes the “X-Spam-Subject” header prefix (set below) onto the “Subject” header and omits the “X-Spam-Subject” header .
    "
    The rewrite subject line with a PREFIX SPAM is not that common any more. The SPAM is mostly written into the header.
    Your provider can activate that setting. But mostly they won't do it and stick to the rewritten header.

When you look into the cpanel Apache Spamassassin section you'll find a warning "NOTE: Apache SpamAssassin™ is not configured for rewrites. Check the X-Spam-Bar header for the spam bar in your filter, or, check the X-Spam-Status header for Yes or No. " when your provider has deactivated the rewrite subject line.

#3 lorio, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can not enable the option that changes the message header automatically if you do not have root access to the server. As an alternative, you could create an account level filter that places the SPAM into a specific mail folder (assuming the standard SpamAssassin options in cPanel are not suitable for you):

Account Level Filter
    How to setup a filter

Thank you.