The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spamassassin character scan limit?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jayharland, Mar 18, 2016.

1. jayharland

jayharland Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hey everyone,

When creating account level filters via cpanel, I'm trying to allow emails that are calendar invites but would otherwise be blocked.

So I have a regex that checks Any Header or the Body for:

The filter uses a negative look ahead because I only want a match if Content-Type: text/calendar doesn't exist.

Anyway, this works as long as the "Content-Type: text/calendar" is towards the top of the email. But with something like a calendar invite forward with a bunch of HTML in the email, it fails. Even though in separate regex testing environment it sees that there is still a "Content-Type: text/calendar" further down.

I read somewhere before that spamassassin has a character limit, where it won't scan past 5000 or 7000 characters or something? If that's true, I haven't been able to find where to adjust that setting, though I have looked.

I can confirm that when I remove some of the text and make the message smaller, it works as expected.

Thanks for any help!
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is configurable with the following option under the "Apache SpamAssassin Options" tab in "WHM >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Manager >> Basic Editor":

"Apache SpamAssassin™: message size threshold to scan"

Per it's description:

I suggest trying to keep this as close to the default value as possible, as scanning large messages can lead to increased CPU or memory usage.

Thank you.