The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin Configuration (user_prefs) ignored

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cev, Jul 1, 2007.

1. cev

cev Member

Hi

Since around a day all the settings I set in cPanel under "SpamAssassin Configuration" don't get used by SpamAssassin. Those are the same information that are in the file /home/username/.spamassassin/user_prefs.

I don't find any errors in any of the logs.

Has anyone an idea where this could be disabled and how to enable the use of user_prefs again?

Thanks.
    Rony

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Try restarting spamd

/etc/rc.d/init.d/exim restart

3. cev

cev Member

Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to reinstall exim, reinstall Spamassassin and it didn't made any difference.

However since early today it works again, don't know exactly why.

Rony

4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I seem to be having a similar problem. Sometimes the user_prefs file is read other times it is not.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=68426

I am wondering if it has anything to with the fact that the spam condition in Exim caches values:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch41.html#SECTscanspamass

"The spam condition caches its results. If you call it again with the same user name, it does not scan again, but rather returns the same values as before."

I'm not exactly sure what that line means.

I did adjust the exim.conf file to include a header with the value of $acl_m1, the user that the spam condition is running as. In both instances (when the user_prefs file is read and when it is not) it reports the same value (the correct user).

I don't know if this is a bug in exim, a bug in SpamAssassin, or maybe its not really a bug at all. I have completely reset the exim configs to the default to test this. And like I said, sometimes the whitelists are read properly and a known spam message is allowed through, other times the whitelists appear to be completely ignored.

Running the latest Release 11.6.0-RELEASE_15032

5. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Turns out that this appears to be a permission problem. At least that has seemed to fix the issue on my servers.

The permissions on the /home/<user>/.spamassassin directory are set to 700. This needs to be set to 755 so that Exim can open the user_prefs file in that directory. I noticed this when I did some debugging last night and I made that adjustment and it has been working ever since.