SpamAssassin doesn't process new TLDs .link .click .rocks (and more)

stormy

Well-Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
154
12
168
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have been seeing weird cases of obvious spam not being analyzed by Spamassassin, and I found this explanation in uribl.com:

Dec 9th, 2014: .LINK Spam
If you are using SpamAssassin, and are currently getting a bunch of spam with *.link TLDs, it is because those URLs are not being checked against URIBLs. In order to check .LINK URLs, you will need to upgrade your RegistrarBoundaries.pm.

If you are running a recent version of SpamAssassin such as 3.3.2 or 3.4, simply download the RegistrarBoundaries.pm from SpamAssassin SVN and replace the one you currently have installed. Restart spamd if you run it for the change to take effect.

Link to SVN:
/http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/trunk/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util/RegistrarBoundaries.pm
How can we fix this on a cPanel server? I don't know the location of the file, or if cPanel will overwrite it with an older version.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cPanelDon

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
47,908
2,218
463
Hello :)

You can try manually replacing the "RegistrarBoundaries.pm" file on your system with the "RegistrarBoundaries.pm" file from the URL that you referenced. However, note that this will trigger a warning from the check_cpanel_rpms script letting you know the RPM files have been modified when cPanel updates occur.

Thank you.
 

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
47,908
2,218
463
It's under the "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/" directory. For example, on my test system the specific location is:

Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/514/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util/RegistrarBoundaries.pm
Thank you.
 

Infopro

Well-Known Member
May 20, 2003
17,112
513
613
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
How are you making out with this, Stormy?

I've added this to one of my servers and am cautiously optimistic, so far. :)

Forced a cPanel update and got this email (as cPanelMichael said we would), just an FYI here:
Code:
Problems were detected with cPanel-provided files which are RPM controlled.
If you did not make these changes intentionally, you can correct them by running:

/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix

The following RPMs are found to be altered from their original install state: 
cpanel-perl-514-Mail-SpamAssassin,3.004000,1.cp1146,/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/514/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util/RegistrarBoundaries.pm
File is still intact after the update, for now.

I may open a Feature Request about this.