The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spamassassin Effectiviness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thevoices, Aug 28, 2006.

1. thevoices

thevoices Member

I have noticed since we upgraded to Cpanel 10.8.2-RELEASE 119 that spamassassin does not seem to be scoring messages very high. We are running a plain config no additional rule sets. Before this upgrade everything was scoring normally. But I am seeing emails with key_words scoring a total of 1.7 and I know from working with Spamassassin in the past these same messages would score 5 or higher. Also we have noticed sa-learn seems to be broken as well. Is anyone else experiencing these same issues?

Oh there is one thing I did try thinking corruption, I deleted the .spamassassin folder and reenabled to have it start a fresh this has had no effect.

Any ideas would be fantastic.

-s

2. glansing

glansing Active Member

I've been noticing something similar - lots more spam has been getting through the filters than normal. I have additional exim acl's and rulesets installed, however. I haven't been able to track down the cause.

3. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I third this motion! I'm using Chirpy's MailScanner setup and have had very few problems over the last four to six months. This month suddenly I'm getting complaints and noticing my own mailbox housing spam that somehow popped through. :(

4. splicesite

splicesite Member

ok I fourth the motion! Ive also been using Chirpy's mailscanner install (which totally rocks by the way especially for its perfect implementation of MailWatch) and my spam filtering has been nearly flawless with daily bayes training against any false negatives. In the past four days though I have been getting hammered with new spam that is not getting scored highly by mailscanner.

Spam is the scourge of the earth. Do people actually make money with these ridiculous emails? I can't believe it.

An aside, how do spambots get info about user accounts on the server? I often see spam that comes to many users on different domains at the same time. How can this be prevented?

5. networxhosting

networxhosting Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Spamassassin

Spamassassin is now a month old so the increase is probably a new method by spammers to bypass it.

6. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Agreed, however in scanning through the new spam getting through it seems absolutely ridiculous to me they bother to send these things out at all. One word subjects with a body that is only a sentence long that is so misspelled and badly formatted that I don't even have a clue WHAT they're trying to hawk to me. :)

I also use Chirpy's Mailscanner setup and I am totally happy with how it performs, btw! But I think what the OP is saying is that it seems SA defaults scores might have changed or lowered for some reason, resulting in lower scoring spam across the board perhaps...

7. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Definitely! :) Make no mistake about it -- SPAM is a very good business and spammers make BIG $$$$$. As you may know, SPAM is a form of advertising, no different from telemarketers or junk mailers - and it's a very cost effective form of advertising, too. Sending 10,000 email messages to people costs a fraction of what it would cost to call or mail 1,000 people. Such low overhead allows a much wider audience to be reached, and only a tiny percentage needs to respond to make a profit.

This Web site has an excellent information on Spambots: http://www.turnstep.com/Spambot/