The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin Email Branding

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by WebmastTroy, Apr 5, 2006.

1. WebmastTroy

WebmastTroy Well-Known Member

I've noticed recently that when we have SpamAssassin enabled on a user's account, SpamAssassin will "brand" the emails with the X-Spam email headers (which is good).

I've also noticed that when we have a forwarder account setup, SA is bypassed and the email is immediately forwarded. The only way we've found to be able to get SA to scan emails that are set to be forwarded is to create a POP3 account for that forwarder as well.

The problem we're having is that each email that's scanned by SA has the X-Spam header attached to it. Often times, when this arrives at the receiving server, the email is seen as spam and never arrives at our client's inbox. We've had entire offices of people complaining about missing emails but once the POP3 accounts were removed, everything was fine.

So, my question: is there a way to get SA to scan emails that are set to forward WITHOUT it adding a X-Spam header entry into the message? When forwarded emails are arriving in our clients' AOL inboxes and they click the "This is Spam" button, it's going against us. We've started having problems with spam lists since we recently added a fairly large customer (that uses a lot of forwarders) and the way we're currently forcing SA to scan the emails (by having a POP3 also) isn't working out.

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

SpamAssaassin is not especially great at detecting SPAM, and what is "ham" (legitimate email). In order to increase the detection levels, you must first collect email and sort it into SPAM and ham, with the bigger the collection the better. When done, login to shell and run the sa-learn command to train spamassassin. The format of this command would be:

sa-learn --showdots --(ham or spam) --mbox -u username --sync /path/to/filename

In addition, you can set the trusted_networks setting:
    vi /etc/mail/spamassassin
    There, you need to include your localhost, and either your servers IP or the entire range of IP's that are on your server. If your servers IP address was 1.2.3.4, an example would be:
    trusted_neteworks 127.0.0.1 1.2.3.4

3. WebmastTroy

WebmastTroy Well-Known Member

Andy, thanks for your reply. I think you're replying to the wrong thread though. I don't see how your solution has anything to do with what I'm asking.

I don't mind having to create a POP3 account for each forwarder if that's going to make SA scan emails that we're forwarding off but they can't include the X-Spam header line because that seems to cause problems when the emails are received at the ISPs.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.