The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spamassassin enable/disabled for individual email accounts?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Salem_Kayaker, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Salem_Kayaker

Salem_Kayaker Member

Hello,

I am a newbie with cPanel. I searched the forum to see if my question had already been addressed but struckout.

Within the last few months I moved my site to a hosting service which provides cPanel. I am quite impressed with its capabilities but I have a question about enabling and disabling spamassassin.

As implemented on my hosting service, spamassassin can be enabled and disabled only at the global level. Since I am using the cPanel to manage multiple domains and quite a number of email accounts, I would like to enable/disable spamassassin at the individual email account level. Some of my users prefer their own client-based spam filtering (e.g. spamsieve or the filter in Thunderbird).

I asked tech support at my hosting service if it was possible it enable/disable spamassassin at the individual email account level and they said no and that it was a limitation of cPanel and that nothing could be done about it.

Is this correct and are there any plans to change it? Given that cPanel provides the capability to manage multiple domains and email accounts, this seems rather inflexible.

TIA

Salem_Kayaker

#1 Salem_Kayaker, Jan 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

I don't actually use spamassassin but I'm fairly sure that cpanel's implementation of it is only as a global filter, as you were told... and I think that's also the way that spamassassin in general is setup. But I haven't checked it over in a while so it could have changed.

I use ASSP (http://assp.sourceforge.net) which gives me power over individual email accounts, Filter On (blocking), SpamLover (marked spam), Unprocessed(straight through), etc... and I've also noticed DSPAM - http://dspam.nuclearelephant.com/ - with which it seems that the client can actually login and manage a lot of their own spam settings themselves.

3. Salem_Kayaker

Salem_Kayaker Member

spamassassin can be enabled/disabled at the individual email level in some cases

The control panel equivalent used by my previous hosting service, while in most other respects inferior to cPanel, did allow one to enable/disable both spam filtering and virus filtering on an individual email account level.

I would like to know definitively whether it is impossible with with cPanel.

--Salem_Kayaker