The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin Faltering?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tbutler, May 9, 2010.

1. tbutler

tbutler Member

Yesterday, I noticed SpamAssassin was acting odd on my cPanel server. It began when I observed an increase of spam coming through the filtering. I checked the headers of emails and found many of them looked like this:

E.g. there was no spam score at all. I tried digging a bit and found some suggestions to try to force an upgrade of SpamAssassin. After trying that to no avail, I tried resetting my exim settings to the cPanel defaults. Still no joy.

Somewhere along the line, I noticed that restarting exim shows spamd being shut down but not being started up. Nevertheless, spamd does seem to be running... it is sort of odd.

In any case, at my wits end, I reported the matter to my datacenter to see if they could investigate and, if necessary, escalate the matter to cPanel support. They tried a bunch of things, including rebuilding numerous Perl modules, which also didn't fix the problem, although while previously I was seeing a lot of errors such as the following one in my exim_mainlog, those have stopped:

So, now there aren't any errors, but many spam messages are pouring into the system with absolutely no x-spam headers at all. It is as if many messages are bypassing SA entirely. A Gtube test I sent did get caught, but it appears my tests are about the only spam being bounced via SpamAssassin, if the mail logs are working properly.

Any suggestions? I'm running cPanel cPanel 11.25.0-S44718.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. cPanelJamyn

cPanelJamyn Social Engineer
    Staff Member

Because things have been rebuilt, it's a little more difficult to isolate.

a) is /tmp on it's own partition and is it full? (df -h)
    b) have you run sa-update and then restarted spamassassin to ensure rules are OK?
    c) does /scripts/installspam appear to complete without error?
    d) how about attempting to run spamassassin directly to see if there are any errors; ex: /usr/local/bin/spamd

3. tbutler

tbutler Member

Thanks for your help.

a) It is in its own partition, which is only 4% full.

b) sa-update exits without any errors (or output at all, for that matter)

c) Yes, it says everything is up-to-date.

d) If I shut down exim (spamd is running, so it seems), I can run it that way. The only error I get is

But then it seems to go on its merry way.

Thoughts? I really appreciate your help!

4. cPanelJamyn

cPanelJamyn Social Engineer
    Staff Member

I recommend opening a support ticket (see my signature line) to have someone look into this a bit further. From here, it's difficult to see the cause. But if we can take a look at it, I'm pretty sure we can isolate the problem. Thanks!

5. tbutler

tbutler Member

Thanks! I submitted one using the complimentary support ticket option. I appreciate your help.