The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin, inbox.lock and ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mccmikey, Sep 24, 2002.

1. mccmikey

mccmikey Member

Hi all :)

I am hosting about 100 email accounts, some moderately active. Every now and then a mailbox 'locks' and anyone sending a message to that box gets the response:

Child process of virtual_sa_userdelivery transport returned 70 (could mean internal software error) from command:
    /usr/bin/spamassassin-cpanel

..and the message is never delivered as a result.

This error only occurs when the file inbox.lock exists in the users' mailbox:

inbox.lock --- 5 --- -rw-r--r--

Deleting the file frees the mailbox to start working again.

This problem only occurs if SpamAssassin is enabled.

A workaround for me is to use FTP Surfer (A free FTP client for Windows) and do a search for inbox.lock. Any that are found I check again a few minutes later and manually delete. I think that file is also created whilst a POP3 session is in progress; and might be left behind when a POP3 session hangs.

Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers, Mike.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Active Member

I've searched these forums and found quite a few questions about the above problem during the last 4 months or so but no replies/solutions.

Today I was alerted by a customer that sometimes mail being send to him bounces back to the sender with the message:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxx@xxxxxx.net
    Child process of virtual_sa_userdelivery transport returned 70
    (could mean internal software error) from command:
    /usr/bin/spamassassin-cpanel

Sometimes it bounces, sometimes it doesn't ...
    I've looked for the inbox.lock file in his directory but currently it is not there.

Did find two emails for his account in the mailqueue that would not send because his inbox file had the wrong chmod (640) which I changed to 660 (god knows how this got set wrong in the first place)

However I don't think that that had anything to do with the above problem. Anyone have any experiences on this issue to share?

3. bdraco

bdraco Guest

this is fixed in later edge builds

4. mccmikey

mccmikey Member

I haven't seen this error occur for many weeks. The only error I see occasionally is the splitting of emails where there are more than one From: line.

5. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:f461938ea0][i:f461938ea0]Originally posted by mccmikey[/i:f461938ea0]

I haven't seen this error occur for many weeks. The only error I see occasionally is the splitting of emails where there are more than one From: line.[/quote:f461938ea0]

That was fixed as well.