system-wide config for spamassassin
At spamassassin.org/doc.html there is a 'Top Level README File' which, among many many many other things, says:
These are the configuration files installed by SpamAssassin. The commands
that can be used therein are listed in the POD documentation for the
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf class (run the following command to read it:
"perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf"). Note: The following directories are
the standard defaults that people use. There is an explanation of all the
default locations that SpamAssassin will look at the end.
Distributed configuration files, with all defaults. Do not modify
these, as they are overwritten when you upgrade.
Site config files, for system admins to create, modify, and
add local rules and scores to. Modifications here will be
appended to the config loaded from the above directory.
Distributed default user preferences. Do not modify this, as it is
overwritten when you upgrade.
Default user preferences, for system admins to create, modify, and
set defaults for users' preferences files. Takes precedence over
the above prefs file, if it exists.
Do not put system-wide settings in here; put them in the
/etc/mail/spamassassin directory. This file is just a template,
which will be copied to a user's home directory for them to
[ snip -- it then goes on to the config available inside the user's home area ]
Now, I'm not very skillful at this, but it would appear that the one which would produce system-wide change would be the second one, here:
When I went there I found only one file called local.conf. Inside it says:
# this is the right place to customize your installation of SpamAssassin
# See 'perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf for details of what can be tweaked
I tried uncommenting rewrite_subject and setting the value to 1.
However, it didn't seem to make any difference. I sent myself some spam, and although all the 'analysis' is printed inside the email when received, the header is not rewritten.
I might guess that the spam daemon may need to be restarted because if it's smart it only reads the config file once; but I do not know how to restart it, assuming that the spam daemon is in fact running.
I tried the suggestion about using the command perldoc blahblah, but my system complained that something called taint needed to be enabled.
I suppose I could rewrite all the user prefs, but it's meant to be configurable system wide, so there must be a way it can be done.