The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spamassassin not catching enough spam?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fourtyfive, May 24, 2004.

1. fourtyfive

fourtyfive Registered

May 11, 2004
    Hey... Im trying to figure out why Spamassassin isnt correctly using RBLs...

It's blocking about 25 spams a day and putting them into the spam box, but its also missing about 4-5 that it delivers to my inbox. I've manually checked all of the spam messages that I got on the 23rd (yesterday) are in spamhaus' xbl and rbl with the exception of one, which was in some random block list listed as "china spam". Do I just not have my block lists setup right? (It seems like the same messages are getting around each day too... or the same type).
  2. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2003
    As you know, just triggering a rule by being on a RBL won't raise the score high enough to bounce spam to a spambox, in the default settings.

In one spam message I just got, it has a header:
    1.1 RCVD_IN_SBL RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus Block List

So it was only adding 1.1 points to the needed 5 (in my default setting).

You can always either lower your score, or else look at the ones getting through and raising the score of the rules that the spam does trigger.

If in the headers you see 1.1 RCVD_IN_SBL RBL then you can add a score preference such as "RCVD_IN_SBL RBL 2.5" if you want.

Just be careful. Everything I have read suggests that messing too much with the rules will defeat the careful balance of catching spam and minimizing false positives.