Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED SpamAssassin or other means of whitelisting by TO address?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by JJ Johnson, Jun 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JJ Johnson

JJ Johnson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm an end-user with cPanel hosting on a shared server. There's a mailing list that I'm on which is constantly getting messages labeled as spam by SpamAssassin, and I can't figure out how to whitelist them.

The mailing list is hosted by [removed], and for some reason the list admin has configured it so that the FROM address in the headers are those of the list member who sent the message. (I suspect this is also a reason why they're often marked as spam.) The TO address is the address of the mailing list. In cPanel's web interface for creating whitelist rules I only have the ability to create rules by FROM address.

Is there some way I can configure SpamAssassin to whitelist these, or maybe somehow use the global email filters to keep them from going through SpamAssassin?

#1 JJ Johnson, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2018
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @JJ Johnson,

As a website owner, one approach to ensure you receive these emails is to setup a custom email filter using cPanel >> Global Email Filters that forwards these emails to the email address you want to receive them at. Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.51.41 AM.png

You'd need to replace "MailingListName" to a term or phrase that always appears in messages from that mailing list.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JJ Johnson

JJ Johnson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So it would appear that these global filters are executed after SpamAssassin has evaluated the message and rewritten the headers and subject, correct? If so, forwarding the email isn't going to remove the rewritten SUBJECT containing the prefix of "***SPAM***", which is what I need in order for my mail client to classify them as anything but junk mail.

Is it possible for my hosting provider to create a custom SpamAssassin whitelist rule that filters on the TO address?

4. kdean

kdean Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can edit in your account folder:

.spamassassin/user_prefs

add:

whitelist_to email@address.com

Even though it won't show in the user interface, it will be preserved.

cPanelMichael likes this.
  5. JJ Johnson

JJ Johnson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you. I think that just might work. After editing the file by hand, I made sure that it survived changes made in the web interface, and it did.

:)

cPanelMichael likes this.